Here it is.. Video from the Stand of the 10pt I Hated to Pass On!

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Chris Russell, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Chris Russell

Chris Russell Senior Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE WATCHING VIDEO AT THE END..thanks, chris

Hunting in SWMO is tough at times. Tons of cover, timber, valleys and tons of acorns (at least where I hunt). It's always tough to see a mature Whitetail, let alone harvest one.

I have some trail cam pics of a couple of nice bucks (some I have shared on here already) and Saturday morning, I seen one of them but he would not get closer than 40 yards and I was hunting in some THICK stuff so no clear shot. HE DID NOT RESPOND TO CALLS!

Eve hunt brought just two does (no horns)...

Sunday morning the weather and winds were perfect. I had scouted some midday Saturday and come across fresh scrapes and rubs near what I call the SOUTH SIDE stand.

I just had that feeling Sunday morning as I was getting ready that today was going to be a GREAT DAY! We always hear about Halloween Bucks...

So, I decided to head to the south stand which is a long way from our camp....the scrapes went right down this little road that lead to my stand so I took CODE RED Doe Estrous and freshened up each scrape...

I also took my tarsal from my 2009 Buck and microwaved it before I left camp (makes em smell juicy) and placed it in one of the scrapes below my stand. You will see the little buck in the video sniffing it out...

I jumped a solo deer near my stand (probably a buck-no snorts) and then a doe snorted behind my stand about 10x... always sux! But I knew I was in a good spot.

After about 45 min, I had a small buck come in and you will see him on the video sniffing the tarsal, then he heads to my south where I hear him on the ridge get into a scruffle with another buck.

Then at 9:30a I have two does come in... they are feeding on acorns behind me....then I see another deer... BUCK! He was walking down that road, checking each scrape.

I throw up the binoc's and notice he has a horn broken off. At this point, I still could not see him clearly but knew I wanted a full rack, so I grabbed my little camcorder I keep with me and started filming. I filmed him until he started getting nervous. He ended up getting directly downwind of me and stood there for a few minutes. Eventually, he headed back in the direction he came.

The buck ended up being the big 10pt I was chasing. (photos below) These pics are taken within about 200-300 yards from my stand. I knew this buck was in the patch of the woods I was hunting, he was the reason I was there.

Now.... you ready to see the video? I had him at 20 yards broadside with multiple shot opportunities. I feel fortunate to have a chance to see him, hunt him and film him. But I am very disappointed about the rack. I know it may sound bad to say I don't want to take a deer because he had a broken horn, but with a trip to Macon MO coming up, I made the call and not doubting my decision. If he had both sides... I would have flung an arrow for sure!

Hope you enjoy..

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid108.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn30%2Flivetoplay804%2Fquickvideo.mp4">

[file]145023[/file] [file]145025[/file]

2. Chris Russell

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    This is the one I saw on Saturday morning but had not shot!

[file]145035[/file]

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's got to be heart breaking to see that.

4. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    :claphands::claphands::claphands::eek::

5. Chris Russell

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    [rquote=1873655&tid=130497&author=venatic]That's got to be heart breaking to see that.[/rquote]

It is... I work so hard down there to get set up on one... I have 15 stands out, plus my climber. I have 5 cameras set out, constantly monitoring traffic.

Then to finally see him, he is a HALF RACK!

That's hunting...

6. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    :eek::

good call on letting ole one horn walk.

7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Still a great weekend for ya man.
    I know your pain, a couple years ago I had a nice 10 dead to rights 3 times AFTER he'd shed one side & it was December 23rd. :mad2:

8. deputy_d

deputy_d New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Springfield
    Just think what deer was big enough to break his horns!

9. Chris Russell

Nov 2, 2005
    Nixa, MO
    [rquote=1873672&tid=130497&author=deputy_d]Just think what deer was big enough to break his horns![/rquote]

We talked about that in camp....

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

great video, i can't believe he stuck around with all that music:D:D

11. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I always pass on deer like that, sometimes it works out, sometimes your neighbor shoots him for a meat deer. Had that happen to me back in 2006. What would have been a 130-140 8pt, and he walked right under my stand... Next day, neighbor shot him for a meat deer.... And, he was still with the big doe he was with the day before.

Neighbor can shoot what he wants though... My only gripe is that he is always tellin me, he is a horn hunter, etc,etc..:blah::blah: But then shoots a deer like that for meat, when there was a doe with it.... Oh well, that's the way it goes some times.... I did shoot a 9pt buck the next day....:D

But, you did the right thing in passing on him (IMHO), and with the hunt you have coming up.... I am guessing you would have been second guessing yourself until next season, if not longer.....

Good luck in Macon.... It's not Saline county, but it ain't bad neither.....:D

12. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    well now you can pattern him even better by looking for trees with rubbing done to only one side!:D good luck with him next season!