Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for killing various types of small brush and trees, broadleaf weeds, and other unwanted things in roadways and cleared areas that have been cut. I've used gly many times to clear areas for plots but zero experience in other herbicides. Looking for recommendations on something that will do the job. I've heard a lot of good things about crossbow. Anything else that will do the job at a cheaper price? Maybe some generic brands? Wanting to get things together before it's time to spray in the coming months.

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
Glyphosate is the cheapest option. Crossbow is really good but more costly. Remedy Ultra might be an option as well, likely still more expensive.
The nice thing about a strong dose of glyphosate is that it will control grasses too, if that is your goal.
There are generic versions of Remedy Ultra that are nearly half the price... look around..

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,893 Posts

· Registered
1,482 Posts
I have and would use these, much better than Roundup or its generics. Spraying once or twice with the right chemical is better and cheaper than poor result or many application of the wrong chemical. Beside roundup creates bare ground which increase weeds.

You can mix Remedy 1 to 4 with diesel for basal or stump treatments.

1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Not looking to kill everything as I would like to keep the grasses for cover and soil retention. If I was putting in a plot or reseeding, I'd go the gly route since it is cheapest. Looking to keep the brush and weeds to a minimum in the roads and cleared areas that don't get used for food plots. Mostly native grasses and some orchard grass that I want to keep and kill everything else. Crossbow, Remedy, and their generics are seeming my best options.

The property is 80% woods so any cleared areas are highly needed to be kept so. TSI and food plots are improving the other areas so forage isn't a huge concern in those areas that I wanna keep open. Just need to keep areas more attractive for all game.

· Registered
797 Posts
Thanks guys! Not looking to kill everything as I would like to keep the grasses for cover and soil retention. If I was putting in a plot or reseeding, I'd go the gly route since it is cheapest. Looking to keep the brush and weeds to a minimum in the roads and cleared areas that don't get used for food plots. Mostly native grasses and some orchard grass that I want to keep and kill everything else. Crossbow, Remedy, and their generics are seeming my best options.

The property is 80% woods so any cleared areas are highly needed to be kept so. TSI and food plots are improving the other areas so forage isn't a huge concern in those areas that I wanna keep open. Just need to keep areas more attractive for all game.
As mentioned above crossbow will work well, but if you choose to use it, it is very important that you get complete coverage. If you don't, the unsprayed part of the tree frequently will not die. Personally, I prefer the diesel- remedy mix over anything else I've tried. This mix will kill just about any trees or woody shrubs. In fact you don't even need to cut them. All you have to do is wet completely around the bottom foot of the tree. I believe the label says up to four inches in diameter, but I will tell you that we've found we can kill honey locusts quite easily up to sixteen inches in diameter. So far I haven't found any kind of trees on our property that this mix won't kill, but you could easily have some species I have no experience with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.