Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago when I first bought my Bowtech I killed a deer at 7 yards, and had so much damage at the wound it looked like a soft-nosed bullet wound. Last year, I killed two farther out, and didn't, so I dismissed it as a fluke.
Today, I shot a little buck at 30 yards, and had to throw out both front legs! The Bowtech with the Montec G5 destroyed the legs. I've hunted bow exclusively for about 25 years, and I can't recall this ever happening before.
Anybody else notice this? Is it the bow or the tip?
I know... the little guy was so small :blah::blah::blah:

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
What does your finished arrow weigh? How fast is your bow? How many pounds of draw weight?

Basically it looks to me like you have a setup that has a lot of kinetic energy, and IMO believe it's hard or more like impossible to beat a fixed blade broadhead when it comes to shear penetration and shape retention.

Sounds like you are having a great season!:cheers:

·
Registered
69,765 Posts
I don't have an answer Mark......I'm just glad my buck stopped running as far as he did and really glad that I found him.

How about aiming a bit farther back instead of for the shoulder. Then you'd just loose a rib or two.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He backed a little as he crouched, MM. I know I should plan on that and shoot a little back and lower, but when crunch time comes, it's hard to do.
I have no idea what my arrow weighs, BTH. I'm going to the archery shop tomorrow and I'll find out.

·
Registered
69,765 Posts
FYI.....When I retrieved my buck the arrow was still in him unharmed. I was cleaning it up for re use and found that the inner shaft had filled up with blood while it was doing its job. It weighed a bit more with the blood inside than it did prior to shooting. I backed out the broad head and let it drain in the sink and followed with a warm water rinse.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
It's the well placed broadhead, not the bow, that kills the deer.:wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts