Heavy's Hunting Journal

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by HEAVY, Oct 10, 2017.

1. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    19th hunt 11-18-17 P.M

Sat in the box blind with my girlfriend since it was raining and seen 11. Got on stand about 1 it was still until about 3:30. Rain was over and the deer were hungry.

A button buck was eating in the turnips, radish, and rape plot from 3:30 until dark. Has 3 doe came out at about 150 yard and one was very large. My girlfriend was going to shoot her but she didn't stay long in the food plot so they all ended up leaving. A short time later a fork horn came across that had a busted up foot. We debated taking him but since it was his foot he got to see another day. Then a doe came out at about 80 yards and she wanted to take it so she shot but missed. Of course it was my fault for some reason lol. Then at 5 another doe came out at 200 yards into the food plot. She was going to shoot but decided it was to far for her so I then was going to shoot her. I couldn't get settled right so I stood up to take a deep breath and then looked out the other window a seen a nice buck at 60 yards. I opened that window and shot him and then when back to the doe and shot her.

After sitting down for a bit to gather our stuff we seen a few more deer come out an then seen a big boy. He was at 250 yards and almost dark. All I could see in the binoculars is antlers and neither of us had tags left. It was nice seeing him. And then it was time to recover them. 20171118_181322_resized_1.jpg

Maddog3355 likes this.
  2. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Very nice heavy. Nice extra point there!

HEAVY likes this.

3. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    20th hunt 11-24-17 p.m.

Hunted the food plot but out of what we call the sprout patch blind. Seen 15 total from about 3 on. Had one doe get close enough but busted out when the wind shifted. Only other ones that came close we at dark but I couldn't see my pins. All got a pass.

21st hunt P.M

I took my son out for his second youth season in the evening. We hunted the same food plot that I seen the 15 in the night before but out of the box blind. We didn't see anything from 2:30 until 5 and that is when 4 bucks came out. One half rack, a large 6, fork horn and a button/spike. The were on a feeding frenzy and were moving a lot. He was going to take the 6 but the only time he had a good shot the half rack was directly behind him. Then they all moved and got settled and he wanted to take the half rack since it gave him the best shot. He shot and it dropped in him tracks. He said ''dad I cant get my legs to stop shaking''. I then explained to him that is what happens when you hunt and you know that you are a hunter. He was super exited as well as I was too. 20171125_172233_resized.jpg

4. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    22nd hunt 12-2-17 a.m.

Hunted a new spot to me that I hung a camera up at the week before. Seen 4 doe at 8:45. I only had time to hunt until 9 so I checked the camera and left. I had a real nice young 8 on there a couple days before. Screenshot_20171202-063307_resized.png

5. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I thought so to. I haven't got any with odd kickers like that so I was very happy.

6. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Sounds like a fun season so far. congrats

7. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Enjoyed following your journal, keep it coming!

8. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Thank you. Its been hard to keep up I will say but after seeing others it really made me want to do one. I have always wanted to take a little log book and keep a little journal of my hunts and to keep track of weather and locations but I always forget or start and not finish it.

9. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hunt 23rd 12-15-17 AM.

First hunt at Busch wildlife in many years. Three of us went and hunted an area that looked good. Seen 8 does and another guys in our group got a shot but missed.

24th hunt 12-15-17 PM @Busch.

Didn't see any.

25th hunt 12-16-17 AM @ Busch.

Didn't see any.

26th hunt 12-20-17 PM @ Busch

Had a little time to hunt after work so I went to the spot I had hunted the past few days and on my walk in I jumped up a real nice buck. After that I didn't see anything.

10. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    28th 12-22-17 AM hunt @ Busch.

Set up in a little different area that is close to where I was hunting. I had a single doe come through about 7:30 but I was about 50-60 yards out.