Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard of a Ruger Deerstalker or Ruger Deerfield ( same gun different names ). It is a .44mag that looks like a Ruger 10/22. Just wondering because I'm looking at it for a new gun for the brush ( where shot can be as close as 20 feet ).
Thank You for your help.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Sounds like the old .44 carbine? Don't remember ever hearing anything specifically bad about them but never had the opportunity to shoot one.

I'm sure some one can let you know.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
It was a 4 shot 44 mag semi that was made back in the 70's but dropped from their line. They brought a new version out a few years ago but it too is now gone. They are as scarce as hen's teeth and cost as much. Good luck finding one.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Good thing ya only want to shoot 20 ft. They have a trajectory 'bout like a raindrop.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
With the right bullets they are good for about 150 yards. Never shot one that far but I did make a 60 step running shot with a Super Blackhawk 30 years ago.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
I made a 30 step runnin kill shot with a 357. The bullet went all the way through and protruded out the out on the far side. Transferred all of the energy to the animal. He went down where he was at.

I was asleep under a tree. All of that commotion scared me so I shot.:rof2:

True story

:wave:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1499449&tid=104603&author=Poor Valley]Good thing ya only want to shoot 20 ft. They have a trajectory 'bout like a raindrop.[/rquote]

We had one when we were kids. My dad still has it. It was all of ours first deer gun because it was light, smaller, and didn't kick a lot.

It wasn't worthless, but it was NO good after 100 yards. Heck, it was all far from worthless. There were 5 first deer taken with that gun.

My brother has a lever action .44 that he has Hornady rounds for. The rounds are hard to find, but this thing drives tacks at 100 yards. I couldn't believe it. We carry it when we're hunting out of our 'bow stands'.

Parker

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
They were excellent little guns, but they were gas-operated, and since a lot of even factory ammo has lead bullets, the gas ports got clogged when someone didn't read the owner's manual and used those lead-bulletted loads. It caused Ruger fits, so they got discontinued when Ruger decided enough people couldn't read.

The second one was built more along the lines of the Mini-14, and another good little gun, but again, problems with the end-users caused them to quit making it. Too bad, neat little guns.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
i passed on one a few years back as i didn't have the cash at the time. one of those regretable moments in life when we make a decission based on trying to be thrifty and responcible. boy does that ever get ya every time

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys I read about them in "Hunter's Guide to Whitetail Rifles" and thought it might be worth looking at getting, since where we've been hunting the brush is thick in some spots and the furthest shot is maybe 100 yerds if that.

·
13,386 Posts
Go with a 30-30, plenty of pop, not a pistol round, not to much kick and ammo is easy to find... plenty of guns on the market, and you can find them on our for sale forum or any gun shop, walmart or pawn shop..

[Edited on 12-5-2009 by Skduckhunt]

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
[rquote=1499596&tid=104603&author=Bubba Jr.]Thank you guys I read about them in "Hunter's Guide to Whitetail Rifles" and thought it might be worth looking at getting, since where we've been hunting the brush is thick in some spots and the furthest shot is maybe 100 yerds if that.[/rquote]

Marlin and Rossi, and probably some others, make .44 Magnum lever action rifles in .44 Magnum that are equally as good as the Rugers, without the problems. Heck, even Ruger made/makes a 96/44 leveraction rifle, though I like the Rossi 92s better. None of them kick much, and with the leverguns, you can play around with .44 Specials and get barely any kick at all.

I had a Rossi in .44 mag, great little rifle. My stepbrother used it to kill several deer, and tried to hide it when it was time to give it back to me.

Unfortunately, someone else, withOUT the playful tendencies of my stepbrother, DID steal it a few years ago. M036565 is the serial number, if you run across it. I'd sure like to know about it if you do..........................................:mad2:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I'm a BIG Ruger fan but still say this particular rifle was a mistake on their part and isn't worth the current prices to anyone other than a collector.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about that glennasher1. 2 years ago the week before opening of rifle season some guys broke into our house. :mad2: But my mom walked in durring the middle of it so they got away with a little stuff. I will keep my eyes open for that number.
Poor Valley, I know a guy who is a big fan of Rugers too. Curently his carry around the property gun is a Ruger Hawkeye in .243.

Would a lever action .357 be good for that range? If it is I may get one and a Rossi .357pistol. And could I shoot .38's through it too?

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
You could shoot .38 Specials in any .357, no problems at all. A .357 IS getting a little light past 75 yards, but if you shoot it straight, it'll kill stuff dead.

Don't forget the .44 Specials, and the .44s, though, they are fun to play with, and kill stuff real dead.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glennasher1 could you put a low power scope on your Rossi?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
My wife's deer gun is a Ruger .44 carbine. It's a great gun; reliable, accurate, lightweight and compact, and packs plenty of punch inside of 100 +/- yards. Certainly all the deer gun one would ever need here in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need one that points and mounts quick and can give me a quick follow up shot if needed.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1500186&tid=104603&author=Bubba Jr.]I need one that points and mounts quick and can give me a quick follow up shot if needed.[/rquote]

20g shotgun with slugs...cant get to the shoulder much quicker than a shotty:shrug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts