Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some truly amazing reactions by other bucks on the video series "Primetime Bucks", mostly with Alex Rutlege in the stand above it.

I finally decided to get one last year from Denny Dennis SG in Fenton. It was the only place I could find one.

Well, after only using it a few time last November I was hooked. I did not get to use it as much as I had hoped because I shot an 8 point in late October so when I used it in early November it was for experimentational purposes only.

Let me tell you that each and evry time I used it, I saw really cool deer behavior that I would not have seen without it.

The first time out with it, I had a 9 point "that was a bit bigger than the 8 point that I shot only a few days before that" come directly into it, challenge it to a fight, then stand there for 5 minutes trying to figure it out. He was 5 yards from my stand.

Other days I had does and young bucks come in and try and figure it out.

I highly recommend trying them out..........it takes some extra effort if you have long walks to your stand and provided you are a scent control freak and have some good private ground to hunt on.

Oh yea......only use it during bow season.......due to safety issues gun hunters are out of luck.

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
I used one a couple times up in Michigan when I lived there, and it worked really well the one time. I was just so suprised it did , I spent a little too much time staring and moving and got caught.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It also provides entertainment for those all day sits with not a lot of action.................everything puts on a show when they see it in some way............birds..........tree rats..........*****...........I have had dogs come by that have investegated.

Makes a long sit go by a little faster.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I bought one from GOGOP. Buck or doe decoy, I have only used it one time. I used it as a doe and poured some tinks 69 on the tail. It was the day before the rifle opener, and a nice buck came charging.
I was standing there glancing around, just got it set up and was going to reach down and grab the xbow and go hide, and got busted.
I am not one to walk to my spot with my xbow ****ed and ready, so needless to say I didn't get a shot. I heard him coming through the brush, and looked up, there he was about 10 yards away, looking right at me.
After he took off, I started grunting with the grunt tube, and he would snort back. I finally found him about 60 yards away behind a tree. He would snort and I would grunt and this went on for a couple minutes, then he walked away.
I kept sitting there and about 2 hours later I watched a young deer walk right past it. I kept looking and found a group of young ones and does with in shooting range.
I decided to go for one of the does and when I started moving around to take a 30 yard shot, I was busted by another buck, I'm guessing 15 yards away. He snorted and it was all over with.
I was hunting on the edge of a pine grove, thick pines and all those pine needles made it hard to hear the deer.
I still have that decoy, but never have used it again. It is big and bulky. It doesn't wiegh much, it's just big.:cheers:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Originally posted by deer_slayer
Hmmm...might have to give this decoy thing a try. How much was the one you picked up and Denny Dennins, Arrow? What brand?

:eek:
I use the carry-lite brand of decoy. it looks very realistic and you can use it as a doe or Buck, cost about 150.00.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,921 Posts
When you lose the detachable antlers, you use it as a doe deke. I am thinking pre-rut when bucks are sparring and most responsive to grunting and rattling use the buck, during the rut when the are locking down and breeding does then go with the doe...just my Opinion

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't remember what the barand is.......I would go check but I have not pulled it out from under the stairs yet.

It is the same one that Alex Rutlege uses.........very realistic.......it has texture and real looking eyes.......you can move the ears to mimic a mad deer or attentive deer or feeding deer.

You can also remove the antlers and adjust the tail to look like a receptive doe.

Even when I stared at it for hours I would forget it was there while scanning and it would startle me......I never get much sleep before a hunt............maybe that has something to do with it.

I set it up about 10-25 yards away.......depending on the set up....facing away or quartering away........a challenging buck will usually come in from the side or behind and offer a broadside shot just before he attacks the decoy.

I do not put scents directly on the decoy.....I like to be able to use it as a doe or buck.

I put them either on the ground or in a scent bomb in a nearby tree.

Another cool trick I figured out last year from experimentation was to put the deer facing directly towards a very large tree about 8 feet in front of it.

The tree blocks the target buck from seeing where the decoys fake eyes are looking........also prevents a buck from making direct eye contact with the buck and getting spooked because the eyes arent moving.

It forces the deer to come in from the side instead of directly at the decoy, which would offer no shot.

It all comes apart and if you have a PhD in Physics you can get all the parts to go back in the body cavity.

I think I paid 165 buck for it...........well worth the price when you get to raise the stakes like that......it adds a layer of excitment to the hunt that is very interesting if you like to analize deer behavior.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
i wanted to try one this year also, and now youve made it so i NEED to try one. i think it would be a Blast, especially since i will hunt Public ground.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how good I would feel about using a decoy on public ground.........................Just make sure you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high in a tree.

That could make for an interesting hunt for sure.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Arrow-1 you have the Carry lite aswell, They also make a moving tail for this decoy called the tail wagger. It uses a battery pack in the cavity of the decoy and wags the tail making the decoy almost real. Another trick is to use glass eyes from a taxidermist and replace the plastic ones on the decoy for a more real look.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Arrow-1
I can't remember what the barand is.......I would go check but I have not pulled it out from under the stairs yet.

It is the same one that Alex Rutlege uses.........very realistic.......it has texture and real looking eyes.......you can move the ears to mimic a mad deer or attentive deer or feeding deer.

You can also remove the antlers and adjust the tail to look like a receptive doe.

Even when I stared at it for hours I would forget it was there while scanning and it would startle me......I never get much sleep before a hunt............maybe that has something to do with it.

I set it up about 10-25 yards away.......depending on the set up....facing away or quartering away........a challenging buck will usually come in from the side or behind and offer a broadside shot just before he attacks the decoy.

I do not put scents directly on the decoy.....I like to be able to use it as a doe or buck.

I put them either on the ground or in a scent bomb in a nearby tree.

Another cool trick I figured out last year from experimentation was to put the deer facing directly towards a very large tree about 8 feet in front of it.

The tree blocks the target buck from seeing where the decoys fake eyes are looking........also prevents a buck from making direct eye contact with the buck and getting spooked because the eyes arent moving.

It forces the deer to come in from the side instead of directly at the decoy, which would offer no shot.

It all comes apart and if you have a PhD in Physics you can get all the parts to go back in the body cavity.

I think I paid 165 buck for it...........well worth the price when you get to raise the stakes like that......it adds a layer of excitment to the hunt that is very interesting if you like to analize deer behavior.
I always set the doe deke with her tail towards me, so that when the buck comes around to get a sniff, he offers a shot on his way by, and set a buck deke facing you, for the same reason....works for me anyway!

·
6,644 Posts
I have used my 3D target a couple of times. First time I took a video camera out and my cousin shot a deer and came to get me to help him drag it out. 30 mins later taking a breather in the Jeep I see a nice 140's 8-pt chase a doe right to my stand. I started cussing out my cousin cause I wanted the footage of it. I didn't really want to shoot the buck cause I already have one about the same size mounted. Well, when I finally got to go check it out he was decapitated and the kill zone was about 30 yds away from the rest of the target. Last year I arrowed a little buck off of it as well. Came in in a hurry and thought he was bad to the bone. He was mistaken cause only my arrow and broadhead were bad to the bone that day. They are a pain to drag in with everything else, but fun when the deer start coming in. I spray mine down with Scent Away and then add a little scent of some kind to the tail.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I have a carry lite decoy. Mine came with the glass eyes. Last year I set it up two mornings in a row and my brother and I blind hunted. I set it up at 20 yards broadside with the near antler taken off to expose a weakness...anticipating a challenging buck approaching to give a quartering away shot.
We saw 5 subordinate bucks in the two mornings and the 6th that showed up in bow range was an older 8 point looking for a fight. He came in and approached from behind and got an arrow behind the shoulder. All on video to boot!
It will be tried many more times!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.