Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sure some has and if you have share your story. Here is mine.

Last season my friend took me out to a new place and we got out of our stands way late and as we was walking back we crossed a fence I said hey we did not cross a fence when we came up here. He said I know where I am at. Then we crossed a 2nd one, I said now look d%# it, I know we did not cross a 2nd one. Of course he says I know where we are at. Well about 45 min later and making 3 turns we cross a 3rd frnce and he says I know where we are at and we are only about 300 yards from the truck and watch out they are a bunch of Bulls in here. Lets just say I called him a few things and stayed close to the fence. LoL!!!

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Well I didn't get lost just misguided. I knew I was still in the state of Wyoming.:bangin:

Jack

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
yes....
the land I hunt is bordered by 2200 acres of the nastiest terrain around. I shot a doe one evening she ran onto that land. My brother and I went to his house, got some flashlights and a bite to eat and went back at about 9 pm. After about an hour and a half of tracking it started to sprinkle. We had all but lost blood so we decided to head back. About that time the bottom dropped out. We wound up with like 4 inches of rain in 2 hours that night. His cell phone got fried, mine was about to die, and we were lost big time. We finally made our way out at 130 in the morning! Only way we got out of there that night was my dad driving out and honking his horn. I was literally ready to lay down and sleep until daylight then walk out.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
in that case Cfraz...I wasn't lost! I would have hit a road within a mile or two in any direction!

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Only once... I was hunting a friend's farm for the first time. He went over the lay of the land and where he wanted me to go. Took me to the fence and said go straight up the side of the ridge until you get to a big stand of cedars. Well I did that and by the time it was pretty dark and I was wondering if I knew how to get back the right way I headed back. Evidentally I went down the ridge in a different direction than I did the first time, and ended up about 60 yards the wrong direction. Luckily I heard his cows and headed their way and found myself in one of his fields. Got back with the hair on the back of my neck standing staight up! Especially when I was walking through the cattle in the dark, a few new mothers didn't want me near their calves!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Not really lost, just almost hurt. Hunting with a buddy about 100 yards apart, weather got real bad real quick. Started raining with bad wind. The next thing we knew, huge hail started falling and wind started going sideways. Started back for the truck, hiding behind one tree at a time, finally made it. Truck was all dented up from hail. Got back to camp, where our other friends asked us if we saw the tornado......hmmmm.......we told them we think so.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
me never:hysterical: now my cousin thats a different story.we were checking out some new government land in northeast mo one time.we were about a hundred yards apart, well he kinda disappeared from view,figured he had found a place to hunt till noon so i just kinda wandered around for awhile and headed back to the truck.well noon came with a little rain ,which in about thirty minutes later turned into a hard rain and another thirty it turned into a full blown snow storm.still no danny.well knowing him i figured he was lost and it wasn't that big of a place it i would go ahead and hunt that evening even though i was soaking wet and starving to death.yah see he had the keys to the truck and the camper.well evening came and went ,i went back to the truck,still no dan but we had ten inches of fresh snow on the ground by then and still snowing.i tried every thing i knew to get into that truck and the camper and getting colder than a son of a buck,at nine there was still no dan but it was my offical break in time.i was freezing and starving.so i found me a big rock and was deciding whether to break the window in the truck so i could honk the horn ,or the window on the camper so i could eat.then i spotted someone walking in the woods so i hollered at him and lets just say he was real happy to see me.he decided he didn't like this place and was ready to head home then and all the way home.all i could get out of him was man what a adrenline rush,man what rush,man now thats what i call hunting ,man what a rush.never could get him to go back there but he sure remembers it.:hysterical: now out west thats a different story.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
The first year I hunted, I was walking thru some woods when I got to the clearing it started to snow as I crossed the field the snow became so heavy I could not see where I was going or how to get back, the only way I recovered was I smelled a fire and walked into the wind until I got to a pine grove where there were 3 other guys waiting out the storm and had a fire going. That was a bit scarey.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
i have without a doubt the worse sence of direction in the woods. now understand i use to hunt in these deep ozark woods with no fields. yea i got turned around more times than i care to think. now i hunt these farms and it's like, map, i don't need no stink'n map.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Every year, I spend one day walking the woods during the middle of gun season, usually when everyone else has gone to town. That year, I started out walking the field edges. I came to a point where I had to cut through the woods to another field. There was a ATV path that i could have followed, but I wanted a straighter walk and I was concentrating on visiting all the the heavy cover that I could. I only had to go about 100 yards. When I am in the woods, I usually creep along taking a few steps at a time and then watching and listening. After what seemed to be an hour, I realized that I must have missed the field I was headed to. I was somewhat lost. I attempted to maintain a straight line to prevent circling as I picked up my pace and stopped stalking. After another 1/2 hour, I was approaching a field that I did not recognize. Across the field I noticed a deer stand/blind. This was definately not the property I hunt. I began wildly waving my blaze orange hat as I worked my way out in the open field. I couldn't see if anyone was in the stand, but I waved at them, and point towards the directed I thought our property was, and started walking briskly. It was about 200 yards to the end of the field that actually touched the corner of one of the fields on the property we hunt. In the 200 yards, I saw a group of Turkeys and a covey(?) of Quail. I climbed a fence and got back on home turf quickly. I had been in the woods about 2 hours, and all I needed to do was to walk about 100 yards through the woods orginally. I decided to shorten my walk and maintain my procedure of staying within view of the fields.

Lesson learned: When walking in the woods during gun season, MAINTAIN A GOOD COVERING OF BLAZE ORANGE. Before I left camp, I put on a backpack with water, rain gear etc. I orginally put the pack on OVER my orange vest. I walked about 20 yards thinking that it was a bad idea. It was a huge pain in the rump wrestling matrch to get the vest over the backpack, but it was worth the extra level of protection. You never know when you might get lost and possibly end up in someone elses gun range as I did.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
You never get lost! You get turned around:confused: I can't believe it but I got turned around last year just behind the House had no idea where I was for awhile.

But what the heck I guess my mind is going.I was driving Home,asked my Wife," Where are we?" She couldn't believe I didn't know where I was,she thought I was just taking the long ways Home.:roll2:

oneshot
:D The Big Grin knows where he is all the time.Unless he is with oneshot,he trust oneshot but that might be a mistake.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Of course I'v been lost a few times, but so far I'v always found my way again.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Been lost more times than I can remember. It's great to be lost though, it opens up all kinds of new hunting property. :D

(Some of you won't think that is funny.) :bangin: [/quote

:rotfl: works though don't it:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got turned around once on a friends farm up near Jeff City. The worse thing about it was the neghbor wasn't very friendly. :mad2: I was about 3 miles from where I started.
Now I carry orange flag tape when in new areas. :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.