Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the "price of venison" thread and have to ask this question. With all the scent lock clothing, cameras, feeders, stands, guns, bows, and other hunting tools, has deer hunting become any easier? Do you now shoot more deer than before, if all factors were equal? We all have great equipment, but continue to shoot one or two deer each year. Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Easier? Not necessarily. More expensive? Absolutely. I've tried all the extras and don't think I've seen any more deer than in the past because of it. It seems no easier to take a trophy animal now than at any time in the past either, but it's also no less difficult to fill the freezer with all the venison that I and my extended family needs for the year and still have opportunities to "Share the Harvest" as well.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
i dont think it is any easier due to all the gear & gadgets
i do think it is easier cuz there are a lot more deer than there was when i started back in 1973.

now that is too say with the exception of archery, compound bows with sights is a great improvement over the old recurve or long bow

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
more expensive yes,bows keep getting smaller and smaller about to the point they are girly bows:mad2:spend 8oo on a bow one year and it is worth four the next,easier there more mature deer now than ever.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i bowhunted in california for 4 years and never killed a deer. i moved out here to missouri and in 2 years i have killed 2 deer. a 9 pointer and a button buck with a bow. so i say bowhunting is alot easier in missouri than california. mo has alot of deer and turkies. and i thank the conservation for giving out (for free!) farm tags.

·
Registered
21,512 Posts
As far as Gadgets and stuff I say no,because back in the '70's I had to try whatever .Most the time hunted from the ground Bow or Firearm.It was easier with more Deer in North Missouri,Southern part where I was,was a whole different story.

Now days there is just more Deer Statewide.The more you see the better chance you have one just giving up and commiting Suicide :eek: by standing there letting shoot at it.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin thinks Mouse Hunting is harder.They stay in the walls more.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I dont think its any easier now, just takes longer to get everything ready. I hunted my first 8 seasons in MN back in the 70's w/out shooting a deer. Now there are just alot of deer and you get more chances to screw up and still get a deer or two. I can somewhat justify spending more as we get more meat. Setting things up so that you can be the one that can introduce new hunters and special needs hunters makes buying the extra gear worthwhile.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
The technology of bows has no doubt allowed it to be easier for folks.....the technology of m-loaders has made it easier for folks. Rifles are still about the same. 30-30's are still out there nockin' 'em dead.

New media outlets......the internet, and a ton of hunting magazines has made it easier for people to find information on how to bag more deer and bigger bucks. If you don't think so, you need to subscribe to Whitetail Hunting Strategies.....it'll teach you a LOT.

People still pretty much just take as many deer as they can fit in their freezer and pass on the rest, so that's why I feel that we're all still taking the same amount of deer.

Technology puts us in a position for more opportunities, and we decide to take advantage of them less.....percentage wise. And that's not a bad thing, I'm just saying THAT is why we're still only taking a couple deer a year.

Parker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.