Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went yesterday and the Turks gobbled maybe 4-5 times total and then shutup. My hunting buddy saw 4 Toms with 1 Hen and they wouldn't respond or even look his way. What's with this? You'd think one of the less subordinate Toms would want some action wouldn't ya? I had 2 Toms come up a fence line to me and when they saw my decoy they boogied on outta there and fast.:stickfight: I know the birds aren't gobbling in mid Missouri around Moberly and they sure have lock jaw here in west central Missouri. I hope they're about done with this breeding of the available hens and get with it and come to some calls. At least I haven't had to clean a bird yet.:roll2: Guess I'll be out there again tomorrow to at least get wet if nothin' else. I'm so desparate I'm gonna put a jake decoy out with my feeding hen.:D

Jack

·
Under appreciated
91,815 Posts
Keep after 'em Jack!:sniper:

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
I have been hunting just west of Moberly and your right. Bad case of lockjaw. I even tried the jake decoy on top of a hen yesterday and nothing. Today I found a field with 3 or 4 jakes and 1 hen in it less than 100 yds from me. Didn't even act interested. Just milled around feeding.

·
Under appreciated
91,815 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong as usual, but I have been hearing that the season in MO is timed such that it doesnt interfere so much with spring nesting...

I'm curious to know if other states manage the flock like Missouri does???

·
5,632 Posts
rat, there are several other states that make you stop hunting at noon or 1pm. MDC states that nesting hens is the reason for this. As far as the dates, I don't know.

·
Senior Member Team 19
3,491 Posts
Jack I took the day offtoday just because ofthe weather to hunt and heard 5 diferent birds in the armstrong area, managed to work 2 of them in to about 75 yards where they got intercepted by hens and i was done. but heck, those are the first birds ive seen all season. and im making it worse by tryingto gt one with a bow... maybe itstime to drop the bow and get the shotgun out.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well, down here in south central Mo., they are shut down. Heard 3 different toms monday on the roost but they shutup after hitting the ground. One of them hung around in the area I was in but would only courtesy gobble once or twice every hour or two. Today, only hear 2 gobbles from one tom and then nothing. THE SEASON'S TOO LATE, plus I'm hunting public ground that was pretty heavily hunted last week and over the weekend. Between the breeding just about being over IMO and these birds being called to and spooked by everyone else, they are lockjawed real bad. I ought to sleep in tomorrow but then the wife would just nag me into working around the house so I guess I'll go sit in the woods and pretend I'm hunting.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I need right now is one of Henry's blow up vibratin' turkey decoy dolls.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I ain't kiddin' about this either. He figures the Toms will be ready for blow-up dolls when the real hens are finished breeding.:D I'll be out there in the morning rain or shine.

Jack

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Get after 'em. Jake decoys aint worked for me yet, but you might get some luck. They're gettin' lock jaw up here too. I get to head back out Thursday and I'm gonna leave the calls at home, set up a small flock of hens, get in the blind and read a book until 1:00.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hayzer, I plan on pretty much an all day nap in the woods.:D

Jack

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
From the guys I talk to up and around here - they seem to be getting call shy. So I figure that if we sit there all day we'll get something. And if something is a good nap, then so be it - it's still better than a day of work.

:DI hope the Big Grin doesn't find me in the woods sleeping.
He might get frisky - I fear

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Its time to stop callin boys you nailed it on the head. You guys might wanna try just setting up where you know birds are traveling and setting out a few hen decoys and not calling. But the trick is just scraching in the leaves. its worked for me in the past. Good luck guys. Ill be back after them this weekend prolly to no avail.

good luck

chad

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
somebody made a post a couple of weeks ago that there was an article by Ray Eye....and in the article he said turkeys only have a memory of 1 hour! ha! ya right. if that was the case, every day of turkey season would be like opening day!

·
655 Posts
I hunted a tom that gobbled non stop from daylight till 0930 this morning. Watched him in a big bottom all morning. He would gobble at everything I threw at him, but would strut all by himself about 300 yards from me. He didn't even stop when a dang coyote got within 50 yards of him. Frustrating but entertaining. The toms at another property yesterday gobbled hard on the roost, but went quiet after fly down.

On a positive note, I callled in a 21 pound tom for a friend of mine Sunday. His first bird. My father also tagged out yesterday with a 17lb jake.

Keep after them. I have had them ingnore me one day, and come in running the next. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.