Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of using old boat winch for hanging deer. My concern is when taking lock off winch to lower deer would 200lb deer get away from you with that short handle. Anyone ever try this?

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I have an old Boat Winch but a Field Dressed Deer isn't going to weigh that much.

I used mine to lift 900 pounds, was a bit much but did it.

oneshot

:D Let the Big Grin grab the Rope with her teeth. :rolleyes: Wait not good idea.

Reactions: beanpile

· Registered
32,993 Posts
I use one. Ratchet strap it to small tree and then start cranking

Reactions: Maddog3355

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Was thinking of using old boat winch for hanging deer. My concern is when taking lock off winch to lower deer would 200lb deer get away from you with that short handle. Anyone ever try this?
If a fella was so inclined, he could set up quite a nice skinning shed with an automatic deer skinner. It would start with building a 10-12ft y'all frame, then boxing it in, adding a little bit off roofing, and a cpl lights. You mount a harbor freight electric winch to the top, and then mount some pelt clips at the bottom of the vertical supports for the skinning rack. Just like a big **** skinning machine. I'll find a link

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Weld a few links of chain to the handles of the vise grips. Then you can use a quick link to attach them when you need them, so they don’t live in the weather. You’ll prolly want to either develope a mounting bracket to attach the winch, or cover it well when not in use.

· Registered
9,765 Posts
We use a boat winch at my camp.If you are holding it you will be fine.After Miller Lites don’t operate it though,I thought it was locked an slacked off and it got away and slammed back around and knocked my finger out of place ha.Didnt feel good but the winch works great when sober :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.