Hanging a deer

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by arrowthrower, Nov 7, 2010.

1. arrowthrower

arrowthrower Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Willard
    Guys I am tired of paying to have my deer processed so I will start doing it myself. My question is whats the best way to hang the deer to skin and begin process? I have a basement home with a john deere room so I thought about using screws with the big circle on the end to screw into the floor joists and then a chain between the two with a pully. The other options is to use something to hang from my garage ceiling or the deck outside which is last resort due to neighborhood and not wanting to offend anyone. Give me some ideas. Thanks

2. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    we just shoot ours ,we dont hang em anymore

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I've done the garage rafters with the eye bolt before. I have the old rope fence stretcher that work great for hoisting deer up in a tree for aging or in a barn or garage for that matter. Hang from the hind hocks and start skinning from the hind ankles down. I've done a hundred or more and it never is all that easy but it sure beats paying a butcher to do it and who knows if you get your own meat back. Do it yourself and you know its yours.

4. arrowthrower

arrowthrower Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Willard
    So Mailman never any issues using the Eye Bolts? I was just concerned about the weight but shouldnt be a problem right?

5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    As long as you get one big enough.....if in doubt use two and run your rope through both so each will support only half the weight and not pull out of the joist. Tap a hole first with plenty of wood left to grab a holt to.

Here is one of those fence stretchers. I find mine at antique stores for about $20 more or less. Self locking I might add and easy for one guy to pull up the heaviest deer.

[file]146581[/file]

6. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    [rquote=1884110&tid=131247&author=macon county boy]we just shoot ours ,we dont hang em anymore[/rquote]
    letheal injection is now preferred!:whistle:

7. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1884129&tid=131247&author=Cook][rquote=1884110&tid=131247&author=macon county boy]we just shoot ours ,we dont hang em anymore[/rquote]
    letheal injection is now preferred!:whistle:[/rquote]

Makes the meat taste funny....:whistle:

8. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    I got a gambrel pulling system from Cabelas for like 20 bucks. Tied the pullys to the rafters in the garage and its easy to hoist that deer up. I leave it up year round just pull it to the ceiling and leave it

9. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    we use the eye bolts also and if you can mount a boat winch its gravy jus crank em up. i usually do mine outside in a tree i throw a cable over a limb and pull em with my truck or 4 wheeler.most times i jus cut the meat off and take it ,to be turned into sausage or jerky but always save the loins and the inner catfish fillets

10. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    The deck outside is less messy, and if the neighbors are offended, mebbe they will move. :D

11. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    I do mine in the garage,hang the pulley/gambrel thingy from the overhead garage door support.

Here is something that helps me since I do it alone.
    I hang head up,and have about a 4' 2x4 with a few feet of rope on each end.I tie it to the hind legs so it is a few inches off the floor.

I can step down on it while skinning/cutting...and it keeps it fron spinning/twisting...and when I need to move/adjust the deer,just lift my foot up.

Try it,it really works if you go solo,no more spinning around on you.