Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally consummated a deal on two rifles, one of which I had lusted for since about 2005. I was really only interested in the Haenel/Rasch rifle and especially as it is chambered for the 9 X 57 cartridge. The barrel of my Sauer & Sohn 9 X 57 is washed out pretty good for several inches in front of the chamber and won't shoot cast worth spit. The bore on this one is supposed to be "bright & shiny". It's about 99% certain the firm C.G. Haenel built the rifle and G.L. Rasch sold it. I have a Rasch combination gun and the quality is....impressive. Barrel is of Bohler steel, Equal to if not a bit above Krupp.

The Mauser....hmmm...kind of a pleasant surprise in that it's chambered for the 7 X 64 Brenneke, the cartridge that was the 280 Rem., 55 years before there was a 280 Rem. With the barrel as long as it is on that Mauser it could offer significant ballistics! Just not sure what's up with that straight bolt. The rest of the rifle looks entirely too finely finished for the bolt handle to have been left straight. Eh...no biggy. It can be lapped in and the bolt handle turned down.

I am such a sucker for side panels and both these rifles have them. The bullet trap in the toe also puts a smile on my face. While some don't like the Greener safety, I do and, both rifles exhibit double set triggers, something I've come to find particularly desirable, especially the majority of my rifles have them. The Haenel in 9 X 57 is pre-WWI, around 1900, and the Mauser was proofed in July of 1928.

http://www.germanguns.com/upload/showthread.php?2006-WTS-Haenel-Rasch-1900-1-*AND*-Mauser-Model-98

· Perry
401 Posts
Years ago I bought a 9X57 Mauser. It says "Ketner or Retner & Sohn, Suhl" on the barrel and was supposedly made between the wars and was a war trophy. It also has the bullet trap near the toe of the stock, engraved and holds 4 bullets. It has double set triggers and a horn butt plate, is rather crudely engraved and has the claw European scope bases. I have shot deer with it but quit that years ago. I have 6 or 8 boxes(10 cartridges each) of the Kynoch 245 grain bullets but they are too pricey to shoot anymore. It is now a "safe queen". I have no idea of it's worth but being as rare as these guns are it must have some value.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd bet on Kettner. They were a large and long lived family of master gunsmiths. I don't know but the company name may survive as makers. Value could be anywhere from around a grand to several grand. Kettner was well known back then and is well thought of today as makers of fine rifles. I'm a bit surprised by your comment on the engraving or, are you referring to just the butt plate? Is the Kynoch ammo in the yellow boxes? If so, yes, they do have some collector value but I don't believe it's a great deal, not in 9 X 57. Were it in some British dangerous game cartridge it would probably have significant value.

I'm pretty sure 9 X 57 ammo is still available. I think maybe Norma and I do believe Prvi Partizan as well as Sellior & Belloit offer it. As with about all Mauser cartridges, except the 11.15 X 60R, it's easy to form brass for and load data is adequate. Bullets don't abound but they are available and if push comes to shove, you can swage down .358 bullets in your loading press, IF it is an "O" press.

· Perry
401 Posts
It could have been Kettner. My son has the gun now and I am working on memory. The rather poor engraving is on the receiver and claw mount base. The bullet trap looked like it was engraved by whoever made it and sold to gunsmiths. The bolt has the "spoon handle", the front sling band is on the barrel. It has regular iron sights, the rear has one folding leaf plus a standing leaf. As I remember the boxes did have yellow on them. Neither my son or I want to shoot it, just keep it as an interesting old Mauser. I bought it at a gun & pawn shop in the early 1970's, I gave $60 for it if I remember right.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At $60.00 I don't see how you could get hurt on it!!!

There was several Kettner 'smiths over several decades I believe. One of them could certainly have been an Emil. For the life of me I can't think of any first names right now.

What you're describing was pretty much the pattern for "between the wars" Mausers. Some of, if not the most, elegant, bolt action sporting rifles ever made. Do you remember, did it have a full length rib?

· Perry
401 Posts
No rib at all, just a very lightweight barrel as I remember. I don't think it had any markings on the receiver either. I will get my son to take some pics and email them to me, maybe I can get them on here. If not I will need an email address to forward them to you. I just called my son, he said that he already had pics. of the gun because it did not have a serial number and he took some pics of it just in case it got stolen. He was heading out the door but said he would email the pics to me ASAP.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your son will have to pull the rifle down to get to the proof marks, unless he has done that already. 99.9% of the time they're on the barrel, just in front of the receiver ring. Be curious and interesting to see them!

· Perry
401 Posts
Sharps, I just got the pics in but I do not know how to get them on this site. If you can send me an email I will forward them to you. My email is [email protected]. There is about 15 or so pics, the proof marks seem to be visible on the side of the barrel. I don't think it is Kettner, it looks more like Retner to me. The engraving is not as bad as I remember and it appears to be a nice old rifle. I have not seen it for a few years but will look it over again when I am at my son's house.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welp, should pick up these two today....almost as exciting as getting the TF delivered!!

Reactions: fishshooter

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welp, about as I expected, nice rifles except for the slathered on varnish but that's no problem. For what I was buying, the Haenel, the Brenneke is a real bonus!! That thing has a 28 inch barrel! Given the 3/4 stock I thought it looked long and especially standing next to the Haenel. And so the process begins....again!!! Oh, both bores are "bright and shiny"!!! Lots to do!

· Registered
9,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not for a while Bob. I have 8 stitches in my upper, left gum from oral surgery this morning. I was in Jeff. City for that and didn't go by Boggs Creek so I must not feel good.

I made up some 9 X 57 brass from Federal -06 brass. I MIGHT fireform it today. Then again I might not. If I had the 7 X 64 dies I'd form up some brass for it. Remember my gunsmith friend from the auctions? He loaded me down yesterday with what must be 700-800, 30-06 cases. Mostly Lake City and another armory I'm not familiar with but there was still a pile of Remington and Winchester brass along with a few Federal. I think I'm good to on -06 brass for a while.....none of which will remain -06 brass...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.