Had an interesting day!

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by kc704, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Had an interesting day. Since my Jeep is broke down AGAIN (have a knock) I had to pull the motor this afternoon. Well, last night my Dad let me borrow his truck to bring my tools to his house to take the motor out since his garage is a lot bigger than mine. He just got his truck a week or so ago. It only has 600 miles on it. So last night on my way home I got called in to the fire station to work. I get up this morning and they are saying we are supposed to have 2.5" hail within an hour. So I hightail it home to change clothes and grab my tools so I can get the truck in his garage before the hail hits. The weather starts looking really bad on the 25 min drive to my parents house. Going down their street I start getting straight line winds. I pull in the garage as things start to blow off the shelves. I get the door down and run outside to his '58 Chevy truck he has sitting in the driveway hoping to get it under some kind of cover behind the garage before it gets damaged. No key! So I run to the detached garage where I work on my Jeep (which is sitting in front of the door) to pull my Jeep inside. After I get it the walk in door unlocked (winds are at 65 mph now) I realize that my motor jack, a ladder, and our two four wheelers are in the way. Too late now to move anything. So I manage to get the door shut and I start to feel myself literally coming off the ground (not kidding). I grab the nearest tree and hold on for a few seconds. I then realize that I am not going to be able to hang on for long. Winds are much higher now. So I make a run for the back door. My Dad sees me coming as debris starts rolling across their field and driveway. Large debris! He gets the door open while I hold onto the deck railing. I get inside and we are trying to keep the front door closed. The wind is swirling debris all over the front of the house. I realize as I am looking for the tornado that we are in the middle of it. It passes and lifts back to the sky once it goes over the house. We let it all die down for a while and then go outside to assess the damage. The softefts under the eaves of the house are gone on the south side (my Mom watched them rip off from her window), his camper was lifted up on its rear bumper and swung around losing the jack wheel and burying its hitch in the gravel driveway, missing his little pontoon and trailer by less than 1 foot and missing my Jeep by a couple of feet. His jon boat is no longer on the trailer and up against his blackberry fence with the front grab bar we hook the trailer winch to ripped off and the fence is almost laying on the ground. It's trailer is on its side with the jack thru the fence and the grab bar from the boat still on the winch hook. His smaller boat that has no trailer is 50 feet out into the field behind their house. It is a total loss, but every thing else can be fixed. We also think it bent the garage door on the house. We also lost a gas can and an oil drain pan. My high school and a local convenience store both lost their roofs along with other buildings in town, but no one got hurt and most of the damaged houses was minor. I spoke to the people that live on the back side of my parents across the field and they watched the tornado touch down and go up and over my parents house. They also watched the boats go up in the air and out into the field. So far I saw there is 1 dead in Sedalia and several missing. I did get the motor taken out of the Jeep though. We had 3 rounds of this weather up here today and a fourth is hitting south of us. Luckily, all I had at my house in Kearney was rain and hail and no damage done that I know of yet. FYI- my parents live in Orrick in case you weather watchers are trying to pinpoint all the twisters. Hope everyone got thru today safe and sound. Good thing I have to go back to the chiropractor tomorrow for my pinched nerve. I think I really aggravated it today trying to hold on during the storm. Looking at all the other news around the state I think we got off pretty lucky!!
  2. MoBowman

MoBowman Active Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    From the sounds of it, you are a very luck man, don't forget to say your prayers tonight;)

MoBowman ```----------->

3. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Glad no one was hurt!
  4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Glad you all came thru alright. Days like yesterday and nights like last night let us know who really is in charge.

5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    close call ! Glad you're OK.
  6. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Glad that everyone is Ok!!
  7. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Agreed every now and then Mother Nature has to remind us how smal we really are.
  8. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    That sounds like a skeery ordeal. Glad no one was hurt!