Had an exciting hunt...

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by brad7623, Oct 29, 2010.

1. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    Well I had my first encounter with a nice buck tonight..

Got to my ground blind around 4:45pm and was sitting there for a bit, hit the grunt tube a time or two and set for a little while longer. Around 5:15 I hear steps walking through the downed leaves, so I start peeking around and I see body and legs. Sitting in my blind watching I see him digging around in the leaves either making a scrape or looking for acorns (my guess is scrape) after about 5 mins of digging he starts walking again and I see antlers he's a pretty large 8 pointer. My opinion of large me be different than others, but I am getting excited none the less because this is my first encounter with a deer on this property and potentially my first chance to get a shot off at one ever. So he is walking right in my shooting path, walking walking stops and sits digs around in the dirt a little more and I make a doe call he looks up and then looks back down digs a little more and continues Walking and I make another mouth call and he stops and looks around and stays there for a bit. As i am making the mouth calls I am moving around getting situated in my blind to get a shot off. Well he is standing there for about 3 or 4 mins and I get situated enough to draw back he's almost perfect in my shooting lane. I draw back and what do ya know my arms are to long and I hit both my walls in my blind and cant get my head down to the peep to get a good accurate shot.. Super upset that I missed my first opportunity on a deer but super excited that there is bucks around (all i get is does on the trail cam). This all took place within the first hour of me being there so I pack up and start walking up to go to my other stand near my camera and he starts grunting at me couldnt see em, but hear the grunting. Get over to the stand get all setup hearing lots of grunting but seeing nothing, so I called it a night was dark and had to eat dinner and come to work this evening..

All in all was a good night. I had fun sitting there and trying to get a shot off. The blind will make a good rifle hunting spot until I get another tree stand to hang there.

Sorry for the long paragraphs, but thought id share my exciting(to me) night.

Thanks

Brad

2. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Sounds good Brad, lesson learned on the blind! You hunting in Jeff County?

3. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    yes sir shrap got 488 acres on desoto/hillsboro border

4. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That can be the downfall of blinds. I always draw back when I get in a blind to know my limitations ahead of time.

Sounds like a good encounter though. Hopefully he'll come back.:cheers:

5. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    yea I was upset, but more excited than upset so it all works out lol.

6. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    man how exciting! i think i'd be getting a bigger blind and do everything exactly how you did it, again :claphands::claphands::eek::

7. shores

shores Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Fenton
    Gotta use my blind but set it up where I draw on the diagonal, in the blind.

8. AOakley76

AOakley76 New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Wooldridge, Missouri
    I ran into that problem last year with my blind that we bought. So this year we built our own and it was very easy.

Materials: T-Posts, Camo-Burlap, brown tarp, (4) 1/2 cpvc pipe 6'stick, (2) couplers for the cpvc, zip ties

*Measure out the square

*Set T-Posts at the corners and then a 5th post about 2' from one of the corners for your door

*Using zip ties attach camo burlap (purchased at Wal-Mart) at one corner then proceed to "wrap" the t-posts to make the walls of the blind. Adjust height for the shooter.

*Connect two of the CPVC pipes and then bend so they go from one corner to the other (on the diagonal). Attach to t-posts with zip ties. Repeat with the other two pieces of CPVC. This gives you the frame for your roof.

*Spread brown tarp across the top. Pull tight for good water shed and support for burlap. (next step)

*Take a stretch of camo burlap and go from one corner to the opposite corner (on the diagonal). Repeat for the other two corners. You will see this will create your windows.

I placed another piece of burlap to cover the window behind me because I am only using three of the four windows.

Another modification we are going to make with this before it gets much cooler and so it will block the wind a little more for me for December hunting. We are going to add plywood for the walls inside the camo. We are going to drill holes and attach them to the t-posts with zip ties to facilitate easy tear down and set-up next year.

Hope this is useful to you or someone else. :)

9. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    HEY AO, IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THAT BLIND, WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT!

10. AOakley76

AOakley76 New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Wooldridge, Missouri
    [rquote=1870579&tid=130115&author=cfrazee_mo]HEY AO, IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THAT BLIND, WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT![/rquote]

I will try and get a picture of it this weekend for you. I'll be in it a bunch it is just remembering to bring the camera.

11. brad7623

brad7623 Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Arnold
    ^ Good advice. The place I have the blind was kind of a spur of the moment thing, where the blind currently is; is ideal for a hang in/ladder stand and thats what I will be putting there soon. This is only my first year out at this property so havent gotten everything i need for it yet lol.

Thanks for the advice and i'd like to see pics of your creation.

Brad

12. AOakley76

AOakley76 New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Wooldridge, Missouri
    Sorry it took me so long. Kept forgetting the camera!

I know that you can see the chairs but honestly the deer do come up and around it. Granted I don't move around a lot either. But that is just me. I don't move around a lot even when I know I'm totally hidden.

[file]146686[/file]