Had an arrow kick back

Discussion in 'Bow Fishing' started by Pastor, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    wasnt gonna post this but thought that it might make someone who is not using a saftey slide to rethink.
    I think without the saftey slide this would have come back into my face but it hit me in the side just above the belt.

I must have had the string wrapped around something. I try to make sure that I check the string before everyshot just to make sure, but this time I forgot and got me a pretty bruise.

I wont shoot without the safety slide. and this is why.
    [​IMG]

2. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OUCH!!!

That's one nasty bruise!

3. thompson

thompson Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Knock on wood I haven't had that happen to me using a reel. That does look like it hurt thought:eek:

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    That's more of you than most of us wanted to see........

Great post though...what the heck is a safety slide??? Seriously....I don't mess with bowfishing but have friends that do and I wanna make sure they know about this.

5. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    I have safety slides on my arrows, but I have never understood the concept of how/why they are supposed to work. What is the concept/physics behind them?

6. Squatch

Squatch New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Barnhart, Mo
    atdalake, the slide lets the string be at the front of the arrow while at full draw, avoiding having the string pass by the bow strings and bow when shot greatly reducing the chances of it getting tangled or caught on something and snapping back.

Nasty reminder there Pastor, how long is that bruise? Not looking for your honey hole, but what area have you been doing all your bowfishing in? Looks like you've been out a lot lately!

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    not only do they keep the line in front of the bow and stuff but in theory if properly installed they are made to shear off and break free from the arrow in the event the line does tangle or get caught on something....
    needless to say they may have helped the sitution here but the saftey slide did not work totally the way it was suspose to or there would have been nothing to come back and hit pastor...

8. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    not only do they keep the line in front of the bow and stuff but in theory if properly installed they are made to shear off and break free from the arrow in the event the line does tangle or get caught on something....
    needless to say they may have helped the sitution here but the saftey slide did not work totally the way it was suspose to or there would have been nothing to come back and hit pastor...

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd never heard the part about a safety slide shearing off....that's a stainless screw on those, it's not going to shear!

Pastor, throw that hand wind reel in the trashcan, and go buy an AMS Retriever Reel immediately, you won't regret it!!!!!:cheers:

Glad you're ok!!

11. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    Gotcha...that makes sense.

I still use a hand wind reel. String got caught on something last year and it just snapped. Lost the arrow and slide. Are there special slides made to shear or are they all supposed to do it?

12. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    brad
    perhaps i am wrong about the saftey slide breaking off? i had just always been told they were suspose to ??? not necessarrly the screw sheer off but the slide it's self snap? I don't know though i have never had one do either personally

and i know my screws will NEVER SNAP OUT OF THE FIBERGLASS cause i glue the blocks to the shaft and then put glue around the screw threads before put it in the shaft.

i had just thought that say you are shooting a spinning reel and the line got knoted 10 feet in i was under the impression it was only strong enough that say when the arrow few that 10 feet the slide would snap and you loose the arrow but nothing comes flying back

maybe i am way off though i don't know i have been wrong before

13. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    From what I understand, Part of what the slide does is let the arrow get a full arrow length away from you face before catching if your string is wrapped, greatly reducing the chance of the arrow comming straight back.

14. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I've used a reel and the string tied to arrow, never had a problem all these years. Matter of paying attention and realizing no fish is worth getting hurt over. Pastor, glad you weren't hurt to bad.

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I used to use a browning shoot thru reel. I had a loop in the string wrap around my finger of my bow hand on release one time. It naturally drew tight like a noose. The arrow came back over my head,,but the string cut me to the bone. I quit shooting with my hand open while bow fishing,,,and still have trouble not folding my fingers in while shooting.

:cheers::cheers: