Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I better get a load of wood in from the farm this afternoon before the weather moves in. So, we pulled our 20' car trailer out & cut, split & loaded her down. Roads on the way in weren't real good, but passable, till we hit Knox CO. Then nothing had been done to them at all. Solid Ice. :mad2:To get to the north end of my farm, where the wood is, we had to drive about 3 miles on Knox Co rd, then 1/4 mile up a hilly mud road, then 1 mile across my neighbors crp. All went well on the way in, but I noticed a couple spots that were worrisome for the way out. Got loaded up by 3:30 & headed out. I knew that spot where the mud road met the county road half way up the icy hill was going to be a problem & I was right. Long story shorter, ended up in the ditch with some effort. The effort was intentional, cause otherwise, I had the 20' trailer blocking the entire road. Once I got in the ditch, at least traffic (if any came by) could get around. Lord knows, they would never have been able to stop, or steer around my trailer.

Welp, outa the truck we jump & walk up that 1/4 mile ice covered mud road, then the 1 mile of ice covered snow. crunch, crunch, crunch.......back to where we had left the tractor. No chains on the tractor, so it might still be interesting getting ole blue out.

Between my logging cable & my 20' snatch rope, I just barely had enough rope to be able to get into some grassy area so I could get traction with the tractor. Ole red pulled the truck & trailer right out.:woot::woot:

Tell ya what, that mile walk across that ice covered snow was quite the treck. I did cut several nice deer trails, one with a heavy ole boy using it. Also cut some bobby tracks & a heavy run yote trail.:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've had many adventures cutting & hauling wood !! Glad You got it out & Home safe !! Now sit back & feel the heat from Your efforts !! Makes it worth it doesn't it?
Cat

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Originally posted by catmech_99
I've had many adventures cutting & hauling wood !! Glad You got it out & Home safe !! Now sit back & feel the heat from Your efforts !! Makes it worth it doesn't it?
Cat
My buddies and I still have alot of fun cutting wood. I tried the ole EVIL KINEVIL the other day and sit the old Honda up on its rack in the back. :rof2: I got a little scared. We still can get after ( when we want). The outside wood furnaces eat the wood.

·
19,584 Posts
And no camera...what a shame. :D

When it's slickery out, I become a hermit. Just going down the ramp on my deck is an adventure in itself. Sideways can be fun...until you hit a dry spot.

Glad to hear you made it home, and have a warm spot to sleep!

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by cfrazee_mo
Sounds like a crappy deal! Hope you are warm and stay that way!
No, a crappy deal would have been not having a tractor available, cause otherwise, the closest house with a tractor was miles away. Warm, yeah, it was a pleasant temp today to be cutting wood. Didn't work up much of a sweat, but didn't freeze either. Low 30's.

·
PURE KILLER
37,998 Posts
you need to walk that far everyday:D

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by coyotehunter
you need to walk that far everyday:D
At least that walk showed me 2 good sets for bobby's & yotes this winter. BTW, wear enough clothes this year, would ya?:rof2:

·
PURE KILLER
37,998 Posts
yeah maybe the two of us together can kill something:D

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Glad i dont cut wood anymore, we used to cut wood in the spring so it would season during the year then stack in the fall, my dad was a slave driver, glad i dont live wtih him anymore

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Sounds like quite a day PW.

Hey...at least you didn't put the truck into a fence.....:scared:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts