Had a great hunt until

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by HomertheHunter, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HomertheHunter

HomertheHunter Active Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Kearney, MO
    I missed. Was set up in an oak tree this morning. First action I had was three does that came busting into the timber and running laps. I kept waiting for the antlers to follow but they never materialized. Later saw some does to the east. Scanning the area I saw something about 80-90 yards away but couldn't tell what it was until he lifted his head. Right away I knew it was a shooter to me. Set up was perfect he was upwind and feeding. Through a couple grunts his way and he lifted his head but kept feeding. He moved South where some does usually bed and then started to head away from me to the East. Knew I had nothing to lose at this point so I slammed the Rack Pack together and started rattling hard. He turned on a dime and came directly towards me. Had the bow up and ready as he stepped out in front of me. Had ranged the trees earlier and told myself that one is 20 so he will be at 23. He stopped settled the pin and pulled. Arrow went right under his belly. He ran a circle and stopped and started milling around as he walked away I rattled again and he came back in but stayed in the thick stuff. I got a good look and it was a clean miss, found the broadhed and had belly hair on it. Where I went wrong the tree was 23 yards so the deer ended up being 27 yards away. Goofed up in the heat of the moment. Extremely dissapointed thought I was gonna end the 6 year drought and arrow my first buck.
    Pretty sure it was this guy.

[file]144773[/file]

2. Sorry to hear that man

Hope you can stick him next go around

:cheers:

3. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Hang in there man. Happens to the most accomplished hunters at times!!

MoFire

4. psyopn

psyopn Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Bonne Terre, MO.
    bummer, first yr. for me,lookin to get my first bow kill this year too.

5. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

Keep at it you may just get a chance at him again. If not him, maybe even a better one:cheers:

6. LeeinMo

LeeinMo Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Kearney
    Well, I know after talking to you today you were bummed out for the miss. It was nice meeting you in person and meeting another MoWhitetail guy in town. You will get another crack at one where your hunting. I lived about a mile from there back in high school and have taken some decent bucks in the area around there. Keep at it. Lee

7. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    A miss is a miss and that's all it is. There will be more opportunities. I'm just glad it was your phone jacked up and not you hanging upside down outta your stand when you called.

8. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    It will happen for you bud.:cheers: