Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stand Hanging

I had originally planned to get up the same time as I normally would when I am hunting to hang my stand, and then just sit and relax for a couple of hours and see if any deer strolled by. Well, I ended up hitting snooze several times and then just reset my alarm clock. I made it out of the house around 6:20 and made the 10 minute drive to my spot here in St. Charles Cnty.

I made my way into the woods and found the tree I had hunted last year and was going to hang this year. I decided that I really hadn’t given the place a good going over in a while and I should go on a bit of a walk about. I have only been able to hunt this place for the end of the 2004 season, last year a few times and then this year. The owner just gave me a very cursory tour of the place one day shortly after he took ownership and I have not really walk the place very well, its only 30 acres. The problem is that it is not a well marked 30 acres at all. The other factor is that I have always seen deer in area I know well and I know it’s the property I have permission for.

After a bit off walking I quickly became unsure if I was still where I was supposed to be since the property is not well marked. I decided to head back to the area I had previously hunted and was more comfortable with. Right where I had planned on hanging a stand I jumped up a buck, it looked like a pretty solid 8 pt with a nice sized body. That was all the convincing I needed to just hang my stand where I had originally intended. So I chose tree got the stand hung and by the time was I done I was sweating my arse off. I decided to sit and chill for a short while in my stand. I had just a long sleeve camo t-shirt, old jean, and a ball cap on. After sitting for a half hour or so I decided to stand and was thinking about heading out. I looked back to the south and about 70-8- yards away I picked up some movement, three deer had moved in and where moving my way. It ended up being three bucks, all in velvet. One was a 1 ½ year old buck. He was a small 8 pt with potential. He had a nice rack for his age, but I could tell he was only 1 ½ year old by looking at his body. One was a 2 ½ year old 7 pt, his rack was taller and wider than the 8 pt and he had a bigger body. Another year or so and he will be a dandy. The third deer was a 1 ½ year old buck. One side was a short spike, the other side was wild, he must have damaged the pedicle under the skin early because that side had a golf ball sized lump under the skin, the antler grew straight down it was about 8 or so inches long, about the diameter of an empty paper towel roll, and on the bottom it had a baseball sized knot. You could see the know hanging below its chin from the other side of its head. Rather weird, they all three walked within 10 yds or so from my stand. The deformed racked buck walked right beneath me.

It took them both a half an hour to move off, when I finally was able to get down without spooking them I jumped two more deer on my way back to my truck, its gonna be a good year.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Very good start. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
GP, sounds like a pretty exciting first time out!!:cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Good start for sure gutpile! :banana:

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I am pretty pumped. This place is in right here in St. Charles County and is overloaded with deer. I really didn't expect that this place would still be around for this year's hunting, and with a baby coming within 2 weeks (they are gonna induce 9/28 or 9/22) having a spot withing 10 minutes of my house is a godsend.

The downside is no gun hunting and the owner doesn't want me to bring anyone along. I wish I had access to a crossbow, my son could take down come deer during the youth or firearms season.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Cool Gutpile...keep us posted and remember if you need help tracking, I live in St. Charles and always welcome the chance to hike around the woods.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Sounds like a nice spot to me too! :cheers:

Your story makes you think about scent control a bit... I am guessing you had the wind the whole time: you said you sweat your butt off and them sat and watched 3 bucks go by at 10 yards with not a squirt of scent killer. Gotta love it. :fart:

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Lefty
Sounds like a nice spot to me too! :cheers:

Your story makes you think about scent control a bit... I am guessing you had the wind the whole time: you said you sweat your butt off and them sat and watched 3 bucks go by at 10 yards with not a squirt of scent killer. Gotta love it. :fart:
Yeah I suppose I did and expect that I will, the deer approached from the south. Had blue jean on, no face mask, or gloves. They just sauntered right in like it was no big deal. They eventually headed off to the east of my location, never heard em spook or anything though. I was most concerned about my lack of camo on my face.

I had been sweating hard, and I didnt even put on deodorant that morning, my scent free deodorant ran out last year and I didnt want to use my regular stuff cause it has a strong odor for sure.

I wouldnt describe any of these deer as wiley old bucks by any stretch of the imagination, so we will see when a mature doe or buck walks by....:sniper:

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opening Evening Sept 15

Well like I said in the other thread. I arrived at my stand only to find my stand missing and a note from the landowner. So I was restricted to hunting from the ground. I spent an hour or so walking around trying to find the property line that I apparently crossed.

It was pretty warm and I was working up quite a sweat, but I wasn't really concerned about shooting a deer. I was more concerned with trying to figure out where I had permission to hunt. Unfortunately I had fairly little success. I decided that I had better play it safe and look for a tree to use in the future with my climber in an area where I was "sure" was the right property. I started to crest a small hill and hear some crashing, here come two does toward me coming down the next little hill. I drop to one knee and attach the release to the
D-loop. I see the head of the lead doe coming up the hill so I draw. She stops broadside maybe just a touch quartering towards me. I settle the pin and touch if off. The pic shows the exit hole, blew right threw the humerus? (the bone below the shoulder blade) and was sticking in the dirt about 15 feet behind the deer. I am wondering if I caught a little deflection off of a shrub as I hit forward of my aiming point. It entered in front the humerus on the other side.

The deer ran off and was not looking good, it fell about 15 yards maybe 20 from where I shot. When I walked up I then saw the spots and the fact that she was actually a he. It happened so fast, didn't even really evaluate the size of the two deer, he was first in line and thats the one I shot. One thing that made a huge difference was the Whisker Biscuit, I did all the walking and stomping around but still had an arrow knocked and ready without worrying about it falling off.

I shot right around 6:50 and by 7:25 I was on the road. I got 5 bags of ice, two in the cavity, one underneath, two on top and I quasi hog tied it to keep the ice secure in the cavity and bundled it with a tarp to keep it cool. Later in the evening me and my brother skinned and quartered it and got it into a cooler. Its by far the smallest deer I have ever shot. Still feels good to get another bowkill and one under my belt for the year.

EDIT: The meat was very cool to the tough when we skinned and quartered him. I will use my hog tie and tarp wrapping again in the future.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Way to go............................Congrats

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I did, it was a real bang bang occasion, and I was already at full draw when she arrived and I was looking through the peep at the killzone only. Didn't even think to look. To be honest i really dont care.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sunday morning September 17th.

Got some new maps of the area so I decide to head out for a morning hunt on the ground for a couple of hours, but will spend the majority of hte time walking and looking for boundary markers.

Saw nothing during my sit on the ground. Successfully located boundaries on the northern half of property. But due to my inability to walk straight and judgedistances in such hilly areas with the foliage on I was way off course when trying to locate boundaries on southern half.

Baby is arrving on Friday, will be out of the woods for a few weeks. Which is good since I have done some serious stomping through the woods. Hopefully there will be fewer leaves and maybe I will have a GPS in my hands.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Headed out on September 30th with my son and ground blind that I got for my Bday.

We set up on a spot where we had a close encounter last year. The blind was easy to setup, but pretty noisy. I would like to leave it there, but based on previous experience (read above) I won't. We hunt until about 9:30 and I decided its time to close up shop. Since my last trip I got a GPS and have loaded all the property corners in the unit. I did a lot of border walking and it turns out I was on the correct property all the time.

We jumped a doe that I put a semi stalk on, but never got a shot. We also found a deer skeleton, pretty cool. Looking forward to hunting back in the spot where the original stand was hung. We had a good time out together, and I was able to get my bearings with this place in much better shape.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
October 12th,

Big cool off today and I headed out to the timber. Hunt in the same tree I had my stand stolen out of previously. Wind was blowing like, on several occasions I had to brace my self against the tree to make sure I didn't fall out.

I turned around to check the time on my cell phone which was in my fanny pack hanging on a limb. I turn around to see several white flags bounding from me about 60-70 yds to the west. They stop and begin blowing at me, then they ALL take off. It looked like a total of 7-9 deer. Couldn't tell what, likely a group of does with their fawns from this year. Bummed that I spooked them, but pleased that the deer are still moving through this area despite the turmoil in the area in the prior weeks. Looking forward to another chance on sunday morning.

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frustration is setting in

For some reason I am just not in synch with these deer this year.

Yesterday I managed to sneak away for an evening hunt. I set up my climber in a slightly different spot, but still a known crossing area.

I jumped 3 on the way in and managed only to see several turkeys while on the stand. Last couple of years on this property I seemed to always see deer and have lots of encounters, this year nothing. I saw the few bucks hte day I hung my stand, but since then virtually nothing. Maybe jump a couple on my way in or out, but only one time have I seen deer in my stand. I have certainly had limited time in the stand, and the last two time have had 20-25 mph winds, but man I just don't get it.

Its only 27 acres, so I know I am pretty much just catching traffic so to speak. Hopefully things will pick up, I feel the pressure I apply to myself since my time is the woods is so limited.

Wont likely get to bowhunt again until Nov 1 with since I will the yute out this weekend.

GP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.