Gunsmithing

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by JMAC, Feb 16, 2006.

1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I know there are a few of you guys that REALLY know your stuff. Do you do this for a living? Supplemental income? Hobby (it costs money)?

If a guy (me) was wanting to get into doing some of this, what are the ESSENTIALS to learn? Books that would come in handy? I assume an apprenticeship wouldn't be a bad idea?

I can really see myself getting into working on firearms. I just want to know what I would be getting myself into and what would be the best methods. I don't want to waste my time.

THANKS, in advance!!! :D

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    although i don't have any advice it might help to know what excattly your interested in stock makeing, barrel floating, trigger work, lapping or everything?

3. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    While you're at it, get your FFL so you can sell us all a bunch of guns for cheap!

:cheers:

Parker

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Lay it on me. Whatever you've got. I'll soak up as much information as I can and then make a decision! Probably everything...as long as I can handle it.

5. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Vince, I heard that the FFL's annual cost is up to like $600/year!!!!! WOWZA!

But if I get into this seriously, I plan on it! :cheers:

6. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :eek: You're going to have to ship out a LOT of guns to us with only marking up the guns $5 per on us! :eek:

Parker

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    LOL!! Maybe I'll hand out coupons next year at the Classic or something. First come, first serve. :hysterical:

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

WHUT?! Really?! Are you serious??? It can't be... :eek:

9. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    I'd proly be one of the people to go through you... even if you are in Jeff City! :pop:

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    A guy who owns some property that I bow hunt used to renew his every year just so he could get good prices on guns but quit when it got that high. You'd have to buy a whole lot of guns for yourself and family to make up for that cost! He could have been wrong but he's generally a pretty trustworthy guy. I haven't checked into it for myself.

11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/ffl/ffl_types.htm#type01

Turns out I was wrong. It's $200 for the first 3 years. I don't know if that means $200 total or $200/year for 3 years. $90 to renew.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Also, it kinda looks like you need an FFL to reload. Is that true? The wording is as follows:

MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS
    other than ammunition for destructive devices or armor piercing ammunition.

OR maybe that's just for "virgin" ammo.

This stuff is kinda tricky! :banghead:

12. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    jmm
    I think you only need an FFL it you are reloading for profit (selling loaded ammo to others) I had a FFL for a time several years ago and gave it up due to the fact that you basically have to allow the ATF into your home to inspect you whenever they feel like it- Not really something I wanted! Plus I couldnt sell handguns easily across the state line and as a private citizen I can get away with just about anything. It certainly wasnt worth the savings to buy guns at wholesale for me.

13. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    jmmcguire, for gunsmithing purposes you would need a 07 FFL. MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices. This is a must if you need to manufacture parts for a defective firearm. This license is $150 for three years. The type 01 FFL you mentioned is $200 for three years. Having any type of FFL requires that you keep very and I mean very accurate records at all times. Now as far as gunsmithing it is a very expensive and not a get rich ever career. The tools alone now cost a small fortune. To name a few, an excellent metal lathe, drill press or presses, drill bits and many of these, special screw drivers, stock inletting tools, files, punches, reamers in different calibers, bluing tanks, grinders, torch, welder, and a high velocity bullet trap to name a few. I have a friend that is a gunsmith that does work for folks all over the states but says he'll never get rich. Like many of the old trades it is dying a slow death. Too many cheap guns made nowadays that folks don't get fixed anymore or they can do it themselves.

Anyways here is a link to all of the FFL types. Check out the prices for types 09, 10, & 11.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/ffl/ffl_types.htm

Jack

14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Man, Jack, I guess I asked for it, huh?!? :bangin:

15. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Get the FFL now, and you can work at accumulating the tools later. I was wondering what your wife was going to think about having a metal lathe in the apartment!

:toilet:

Parker