gunsafe dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rat, Mar 19, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Anyone heard of or use one of these?? Wondering if they are effective or not.

Product Description
    Remove moisture in any enclosed space, like your gun cabinet or safe, with Remington's® Mini-Dehumidifier. Uses colorless, odorless nontoxic Water Glass crystals to constantly absorb moisture from the air. Every 30-60 days, the indicator window will turn pink when the unit needs regeneration. Simply plug it in to a standard electrical outlet for 10-12 hours, and the indicator window will turn blue when it's recharged and ready to go again. The average life span is approximately 10 years.

2. no but it siounds good how much does that little deal cost

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    They only want 24.99 for them so I am concerned that it may be cheesy.
    :confused:

4. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Most folks I know, use a doohicky called the 'Goldenrod', it's a long skinny tubular heating element, that dries out the air in a gun safe. I think it's pricier than that, but I haven't priced one lately, either.

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well... this one seems to be self-contained and no need for snaking a cord through the back of your safe.

6. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I've got the Goldenrod in my safe, and I think it was $30. It works great, and IMHO it's better than something that would need to be regenerated. That tells you that the effect is steadily diminishing all the time, so it's only really at peak efficiency whn you first put it in. The Goldenrod is operating at peak efficiency all the time.
    I think all safes come with the hole pre-drilled through the metal, so that you only have to drill through the insulation to run the wire. The delivery guy did mine in about one minute.

7. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
  8. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I have a nite light bulb on constantly in my safe. At 1.27 for a pack of 5 bulbs have yet to run out of the initiol pack of bulbs in 4 years of it on. It also ahs added benafit of giving small light sorce for night time hasty gun grabs, ie whats that noise. ( So fare only tested in night time intruder drills, we hold here once a month. ) Not the same week as our rediness test for intruders during daylight hrs. Nor the same week as our fire rediness tests/ sever storm condition drills we hold monthly as well.

The main gun ( 12ga ) in our room is gun chaind to 2 ibolts set into closet wall. And wifes 38 sw revolver is in gun box in here hidden shelf in here night stand.

I dint make the gun safe tall enouf for the new blackpowder smothbore i got so its on teh bow wall.