Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I went to a gun show over the weekend hoping to see some good buys on ammo or maybe even a gun or two. That was not the case. The ammunition seemed to be higher there that was is trickling in at Orscheln's, Walmart or even the local gun shop. The price of guns, used, seemed like a new gun is a much better value. Now I am not a follower of the market and I know this claim will get bashed but is this a common theme at gun shows lately. This is the first one I have been to in a few years and maybe the last.

·
Registered
70,595 Posts
Thought about going to the gun show in KC yesterday. Thought for about it for 4 seconds. Decided to drive the 10 minutes to Bass Pro and spent an hour looking with no cover charge. Hate paying good money just to look.

·
just a no body
15,856 Posts
no bashing from me. yea Gun Shows IMO are for finding something that you are willing to pay too much for because you either cant find or not willing to wait for. I quit going years ago. Once in a blue moon I would find what I want or need for a reasonable price. It's more just wasting time for the lack of anything better to do.

·
14,654 Posts
I went to a gun show 15 years ago, not sure why as I know nothing about guns like I used to, and that was hunting rifles before the AR stuff was invented.
One guy had a 30 foot long table and he looked like he was going crazy watching 10 different people handling his used guns.

I keep thinking about buying a hand gun, maybe the S&W or Nighthawk 30 Super Carry

edit, friends of mine in Kansas go down to the Tulsa gun show every year and spend a couple days there. Not sure what they do for 2 days

·
Under appreciated
92,525 Posts
I thought that's how it's always been. I certainly wouldn't expect to pay lower prices than Walmart..
Hell most of the ammo there was probably bought at walmart with the sole intent to mark it up and sell it at the gun show!
I quit going to them a long time ago because I always seemed to see the same stuff over and over.

The only thing I ever bought was a ziploc bag of 40 S&W tracer rounds. They were fun to shoot but about every 3rd one wouldn’t go bang. I read afterwards that they would screw up your bbl someway, who knows.

·
just a no body
15,856 Posts
I quit going to them a long time ago because I always seemed to see the same stuff over and over.

The only thing I ever bought was a ziploc bag of 40 S&W tracer rounds. They were fun to shoot but about every 3rd one wouldn’t go bang. I read afterwards that they would screw up your bbl someway, who knows.
yea thats a fact I often wondered how those guys paid for a table. I often wondered if going early or later had any benefits? I thought later as if the guy sold nothing he might be more inclined to make a deal to at least pay for his table or rotate his stock. That never to my memory worked out that way.

I think them tracer rounds burn out barrels

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Not sure you can see it all in two days . You should ride along with them .

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/home.html

I went to a gun show 15 years ago, not sure why as I know nothing about guns like I used to, and that was hunting rifles before the AR stuff was invented.
One guy had a 30 foot long table and he looked like he was going crazy watching 10 different people handling his used guns.

I keep thinking about buying a hand gun, maybe the S&W or Nighthawk 30 Super Carry

edit, friends of mine in Kansas go down to the Tulsa gun show every year and spend a couple days there. Not sure what they do for 2 days

·
14,654 Posts
Not sure you can see it all in two days . You should ride along with them .

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/home.html
you link goes to

File not found (404 error)

is there that many different guns that it takes 2 days to see

a 30ft table can have over 120 guns on it, takes 20 seconds to slowly walk by and see them all :D

kind of like the All Fishin Show I went to this last weekend, done in 20 minutes doing the slow stroll, would have been done in 17 minutes but I wanted to ask the Garmn guy abut a feature on my depthfinder, when he got done with one guy, he told me to ask one of the other guys, so I did and the guy went DUH.....wasted 3 minutes right there.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
you link goes to

File not found (404 error)

is there that many different guns that it takes 2 days to see

a 30ft table can have over 120 guns on it, takes 20 seconds to slowly walk by and see them all :D

kind of like the All Fishin Show I went to this last weekend, done in 20 minutes doing the slow stroll, would have been done in 17 minutes but I wanted to ask the Garmn guy abut a feature on my depthfinder, when he got done with one guy, he told me to ask one of the other guys, so I did and the guy went DUH.....wasted 3 minutes right there.
It is 11 acres and they claim more than 4200 tables, so if you spend 20 seconds per table and stop for lunch you might be able to see two-thirds of it in two days. It is not like the All Fishin Show. :rolleyes:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,742 Posts

·
Under appreciated
92,525 Posts
It is 11 acres and they claim more than 4200 tables, so if you spend 20 seconds per table and stop for lunch you might be able to see two-thirds of it in two days. It is not like the All Fishin Show. :rolleyes:
How many of the rubber band shooter and novelty tables are you really going to stop at though?

·
2,166 Posts
I had stopped going to them years ago for some of the reasons others have mentioned. But I went to one with my son last year and actually found a great deal on a rifle that my BIL was searching for . It probably helped that we were there when the doors opened

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I dont go anymore either. find too many decent deals just checking the web. bought 3 boxes of 450 Buschmaster somebody didnt need any more for 25.00 a box.
gave them to my bro-inlaw for Christmas. keep looking and you can find some decent stuff but you better jump when you find it or itll be gone.

·
Under appreciated
92,525 Posts
I dont go anymore either. find too many decent deals just checking the web. bought 3 boxes of 450 Buschmaster somebody didnt need any more for 25.00 a box.
gave them to my bro-inlaw for Christmas. keep looking and you can find some decent stuff but you better jump when you find it or itll be gone.
Back during the summer when there seemed to be empty shelves instead of ammo, I found some 450 on the shelves at Cabela’s for reg price, although I think they were little over 30 bucks… herters and federal, my gun shot the federal a lot better.

Did you hunt with yours @JimH ? They pack a whallop

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.