Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...there's no two ways about it...I need to buy a good gun safe.

I've looked particularly at some o the cabela's brand safes, Browning and Stack-On.

I would really appreciate opinions from those who have different brands.

I've been thinking about the 36 or 45 gun Stack On safe simply for the price, but I don't know much about them. I have a cousin who has the 45 gun Stack On and he loves it, but that's the only personal review I have.

Bring on the opinions.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Buy bigger than you think you need. :D But a 45 is a BIG safe. I have what was the Cabela's Bronze Series by Liberty. I guess it's almost 2 years old now. I don't know how they list them now. It's a 12/24. With scoped guns you won't get a full 12 on a side. Get a fireproofed one. Mine is 45 Minutes. Leave it on the skid it comes on. Makes easy to move and can anchor to floor easier. I don't see the need for an electric dehumidifier. Get a couple of the rechargeable dessicant packs and you'll be good to go.

·
King of Callaway
42,797 Posts
Dad and I both have Cannon's and couldn't be happier

Cousin has a browning and hasn't had a complaint yet either though, I think it's a Medallion (although not sure)

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
Heh, I just commented on this very thing in For Sale.:D

If you're looking at Stak-Ons, I'll assume you're not willing to spend the cash it takes to get a fireproof safe. I wasn't either, that's what homeowner's insurance is for! Anyway...

I looked at Stak-Ons, but they seemed a bit "cheap", so I bought a Sentry 14-gun safe about 6 years ago and couldn't be happier with it for the $350 I spent. It weighs over 300 lbs empty, so there's no way a casual thief is getting this thing out of the house. The removable plastic rests are nice for accomodating several different long guns, and there's even spacers for the rests to accomodate your scoped rifles and shotguns. The only knock against it is it's not fireproof, but we've covered that already. We just bought a small fireproof safe to keep our important papers and small valuables in, and that safe goes on the pistol shelf inside the Sentry. It's about as good a safe as you'll find for under $500, IMO.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
detrhoyt....money isn't really that big of a concern. I'm willing to spend what it takes to get what I want and the highest priced one of the ones I've been looking at is about $1600.

FYI...the Stack Ons are fireproof, rated the same as most of the other common name brands like Browning, Cabela's and Cannon....and they are waterproof up to 24", unlike the others that I've seen.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:thinking: I've never heard a bad review about ANY gun safe at all. Anyone got one? :thinking:

Parker

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
Gotcha, Hoyt. Dang, I hadn't seen those high end Stack-Ons, thought they were just a budget safe maker.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are definitely less expensive than most of the bigger names. ****'s is always running a sale on the Stack-Ons it seems like. The 45 gun safe is like $1100 or a little less.

The thing I like about that one is that it is 3 sections wide, so basically you can have 30 gun storage and an entire section of shelving for ammo valuables etc. Just can't decide

·
Under appreciated
89,769 Posts
Jer... I sent you a u2u... I bought a redhead 12/24 a few years ago and wished I had a liberty or cannon safe now.
Its fine for what I have but it fills up quick bro.

Fire ratings are really similar for most so dont get hung up on that. Features and volume are what you need to consider especially in the price range you are considering.
Good luck.

·
Under appreciated
89,769 Posts
Oh... and gun space is definately NOT judged with scoped rifles in mind.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I completely agree about the capacity listed versus capacity in reality.

That's why I'm looking for a bigger capacity

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
[rquote=1503721&tid=104924&author=Hoytshooter]Yeah, I completely agree about the capacity listed versus capacity in reality.

That's why I'm looking for a bigger capacity[/rquote]

I like my safe for the amount of guns I own, but if I ever did put 14 rifles and shotguns in there, I'm sure there'd be some dinged up wood and scuffed bluing going on. It has room for 14, just not comfortably...:D

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would go with the bigger ones, mine is a 14/28 browning and i love it but it is not big enough, already want another one. I have had no trouble with it either, been a great safe just need more room.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
can ya just have one built ?
i built mine with block with a concrete top
and used a steel fireproof door
its 8x10 so all kinds of room for
guns and shelving and storage

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
[rquote=1503824&tid=104924&author=macon county boy]orsheln farm and home has theres marked down i believe the have centurion and liberty[/rquote]

The Centurion is a Liberty line of safes. I have a Liberty Centurion and have been very happy with it. This is something I find really nice about Liberty:

PART C - LIBERTY'S WARRANTY

We back up every safe we sell!

* If you are unfortunate enough to experience a fire or a damaged safe from an attempted break-in, Liberty will provide you with a new safe delivered right to your home - all for FREE! No delivery charges, no hidden expenses, and a new safe to show for it.
* There is some paperwork to fill out when processing your claim, which includes completing warranty card information when you first buy your safe.

That's our guarantee. That's Liberty.

LINK
Also, Liberty uses independent laboratories to conduct their fire testing rather than doing it them themselves, which leaves less room for embellishment. When they perform their tests, they take the temperature from 0° to 1200° in just 10 minutes rather than the 30 minute standard that most manufacturers use.

But I think more convincing than anything else, is the head-to-head pry test that can be viewed here: http://www.libertysafe.com/homesecurity.php?page=8

It's amazing how much difference the thicker door on the liberty safe makes. And as an added note, whatever you get, DEFINITELY remove it from the skid it comes on and bolt it to your floor.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i boughta fort knox with lighta and a dehun=midifier and love it..bet money i ever spent on my guns and valueables but if the house burns donw ill still have them plus they wont rust in this safe with the cryer inside..aint sure wha you wanna spen but i thought mine was waaaaay worth the mony

1 - 20 of 31 Posts