Gun... Need Help Figuring out what it is..

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by grneyedcountryangel, Nov 2, 2010.

1. grneyedcountryangel

grneyedcountryangel New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ok so i found this gun..:welcome: and have no clue.. what it is anyone help??? i have lots more pics.. if you like to see them.. but cant figure out how to get them on here.. i can email them to you ... .if you give me ur email..
    :grouphug:
    [file]145551[/file]

[file]145553[/file]

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

No idea, but it's :eek::

3. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    There are for sure some guys on here that know their guns! I am sure they will be around soon. Pretty cool find!

4. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    i'm no expert but i'll go out on a limb and say it is used. :whistle:

5. Big_Bullseye

Big_Bullseye Honey Badger Phat Sack

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    does it have a cylinder or what? Your gonna have to clean it up a bit with some steel wool and look for some sort of markings.

What is the story behind this shootin iron, please share it with us.

Take some more pics and post em up. Or email me some. U2U at ya.

6. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    I wouldnt clean it steel wool or sandpaper...Wash it only...someone in the know will be able to tell by looking at it. If it has any value you will massacre it by taking steel wool, a wire brush, etc to it.

7. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    steel wool does not hurt a relic like this at all. As a matter of fact it polishes the metal a bit.

yes - don't use sandpaper or a wire brush for sure. THAT would be extreme......

8. 160983

160983 Guest

Looks like a .410 pistol.:)

9. Yahoo

Yahoo Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    I think its an old toy gun

10. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

[rquote=1877023&tid=130732&author=Jusadog]Looks like a .410 pistol.:)[/rquote]

11. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Looks like an old cap gun.

12. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    U2U sent - please send me the pictures you have.
    I have a lot of reference books and am curious...

13. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

single shot tipup relic, perhaps stevens;

14. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    From the size of the barrel and the sights it looks to be, as has been said, some sort of single shot .410 pistol. I've seen one like it if that's what it is. Curious to know. More details would be helpful.

15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    It isn't a toy gun nor do I believe it to be any kind of tip up such as the old Stevens or a .410 pistol as it appears to be too early for that. And no, there is no cylinder. I'd like to see some better pictures of the area around and under the hammer, whether or not the barrel and action are one piece and the approximate bore size. From the pics shown there doesn't appear to be any kind of break for the barrel to come away from the action nor to access the breech from the rear which leads me to believe it's a muzzleloader of some kind. Perhaps an early target pistol or a smoothbore. Is there any rifling visible?

The grip frame and trigger guard are reminiscent of early single actions so it's entirely possible it's a one-off made by someone in his home shop. Also, the barrel and action appear to be one machining.

16. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    It could also be a mold gun for shrinking leather holsters on. Well you know what i meaning. Getting the gun shape molded into a leather holster.

17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    [rquote=1877119&tid=130732&author=sand_manms]Looks like an old cap gun.[/rquote]
    the more i look at that photo the more i would agree with you if i was put on the spot to make a call as it is right now. more photo's definatly are needed. cap guns from way back were not the real light stuff that is made today. i remember my buddies gun as a kid that had been his fathers was so dang heavy we couldn't put it into a holster without it pulling our britches down if our belt wasn't real tight. :rof2:

18. Big_Bullseye

Nov 2, 2004
    Franklin County
    well its a good thing the OP is so full of info.... :)

19. grneyedcountryangel

grneyedcountryangel New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes the gun is very very heavy.. but i know nothing about it.. i was in the process of buying a house.. and was looking at one came around the back of the house and tripped over the but of the gun sticking out of the ground i pulled and i pulled to get it out of the ground then took it to the car imideatly...

I hear both storys that its a toy gun or its a real old gun.. hehe someone said that it could possibly be between 1860 & 1900, possibly savage arms single shot black powder cartridge, diff not military, may have been sears catalog. I dont know that much about guns but this sure is fun to find out what it is.. :)

20. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Haven't been able to find out what it is in my book. H&R made a single shot but it was a hinge frame. So was an old webly. Savage made a SS but it had a cylinder. During the late 1800's and early 1900's all kind of gun companies came and went! I would just say you have a nice door stop.