Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

Nothing overly fine about this shotgun but a classic. Got a good buy on a very nice sweet sixteen 26” with a vent rib. Dated in the 50’s. Doesn’t look like it ever saw action. And, the screws are even in good shape. They are usually all bent out of shape from a professional amateur gunsmith like myself taking it apart.

·
Registered
745 Posts

Nothing overly fine about this shotgun but a classic. Got a good buy on a very nice sweet sixteen 26” with a vent rib. Dated in the 50’s. Doesn’t look like it ever saw action. And, the screws are even in good shape. They are usually all bent out of shape from a professional amateur gunsmith like myself taking it apart.
I’m not much of a shotgun man but I’ve been thinking about picking up a few classics. Yours looks like a fine example. What was in the Cooper box?😏

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’m not much of a shotgun man but I’ve been thinking about picking up a few classics. Yours looks like a fine example. What was in the Cooper box?
Ha good eye. A 338-06 Excalibur. Just got done with some load development shooting a 210 partition. Here’s a 4 shot group from the other day. Took me a while to find a load with the partition for some reason but calling it good for now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’m not much of a shotgun man but I’ve been thinking about picking up a few classics. Yours looks like a fine example. What was in the Cooper box?
Would really like to find a superposed lightning 20ga as far as a classic. Although I’ll admit I’ve been eyeballing a Guerini Woodlander for several years. Haven’t been able to justify something that nice to lug around bird hunting.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Well, did you get it? It's a nice looking rifle and I know a guy who may have a bullet mold 😁
No Bob. I'm still waffling over a lift or a firearm. I had another spotted I would have bought as it was about $1200 less expensive. I offered, he declined and as it was so unusual I thought I'd play the long game and let it set on his rack for a couple months. Darn thing sold the next day.....lol! Maybe glad I didn't spring for either. A/C went out yesterday and it's old enough the whole system has to be replaced.

Are you going to the gun show in Doolittle Saturday? A friend from Canada and I will be there.

Roman, are you talking about a Browning? My wife shot a 20 bore, Browning O/U Superlight(?), is that right? I'm not much on shotguns either. It was a pretty decent shotgun and easy for her to handle.

Edit: Here's that one I thought I would end up with. IIRC his asking price was $895.00. I should have just bought it. Interesting Tesching rifle in an equally interesting "Rook & Rabbit", or "Garden Gun" kind of cartridge. I looked it up in Donnely's and brass is easily formed from 357 cases. As the groove of these rifles almost always slug at .257-.258 rather that .264 it makes one wonder if it wasn't the inspiration for the supposedly new 5.7 X 28. There is truly nothing new under the sun.

Pre WW1 Cristoph Funk Single Shot "Tesching" Rifle chambered in 6.5x27R ** Beautiful & Scarce!! ** for sale (gunsinternational.com)

Reactions: Bob58

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
No Bob. I'm still waffling over a lift or a firearm. I had another spotted I would have bought as it was about $1200 less expensive. I offered, he declined and as it was so unusual I thought I'd play the long game and let it set on his rack for a couple months. Darn thing sold the next day.....lol! Maybe glad I didn't spring for either. A/C went out yesterday and it's old enough the whole system has to be replaced.

Are you going to the gun show in Doolittle Saturday? A friend from Canada and I will be there.

Roman, are you talking about a Browning? My wife shot a 20 bore, Browning O/U Superlight(?), is that right? I'm not much on shotguns either. It was a pretty decent shotgun and easy for her to handle.
Hey Sharps. Yes, it’s a Browning. The superposed pre dates the citori and was made in Belgium. Generally they are a bargain for what they are, which is a hand made/fitted shotgun. The superlight is a model offered in both the superposed and citori. Either way very handy shotgun.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
That's right, hers was a Citori. It's been so long ago I forgot. After a couple rounds of shooting clay birds in the pasture and one bird hunt there was no further interest so I traded it for something....what I have no idea.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ha good eye. A 338-06 Excalibur. Just got done with some load development shooting a 210 partition. Here’s a 4 shot group from the other day. Took me a while to find a load with the partition for some reason but calling it good for now.

That dog will hunt! Elk rifle?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought a Winchester 94 30-30 (1974) and a Remington Model 12a .22 pump made in 1919 from a friend. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I didn't have a lever gun and I love thang for old .22's.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The most recent that I bought was a dream gun, that I've wanted since the 1980s (when they quit making them). I actually wanted a 6", but this 4" is really nice. I sold my Bushmaster to fund it.

The only gun I'm currently watching for, is a blue Ruger Wrangler. I already have black, bronze, silver, and OD green. I've seen a few blue ones online, but none in person.
Did you see they are coming out with a .22/,22 mag convertible this month..Diamondback Sidekick..I "think" it has a swing out cylinder and is D/A...maybe 329$

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Reactions: WILKinKC

·
Registered
31,720 Posts
41 - 60 of 87 Posts