Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm in a transition phase of life I guess. For years I've been a titanium, carbon, stainless, cerekote, synthetic kind of guy. Mainly because of the simplicity and utility, as I'm often going on destination hunts.

Lately, I find myself irresistibly drawn back to my roots of walnut and blued steel. In the last year I've bought a JM Marlin in .35 Rem, a Kimber of Oregon 82 with above average wood in .22 Hornet, a Cooper M51 Montana Varminter with AAA+ claro in .223 (soon to be .17 Rem) and a minty Sako A1 Deluxe Forrester in .243 Win.

I'll likely continue to destination hunt with that high tech stuff, but for hunting around here, I simply find more pleasure in fielding fine walnut and blued steel. Getting old I guess?

Reactions: doepee

·
Registered
749 Posts
How do you like your Cooper? Picked one up from a fellow member and have really enjoyed shooting it so far. Just recently worked up a load for 210 partitions with it and it shoots very well.
I've had a few of Coopers over the years, mostly M21's with a few M38's mixed in, they have all been great. This one is a M51 so it's a repeater with a 4rnd magazine. Funny thing is, it might as well be a single shot because it won't feed a single round from the magazine. The feed ramp is too steep!

Bought it second hand at an estate sale, called Cooper and told them as much, they said send it back and they will take a look. So I guess we'll have to wait and see how much I like it;). If they can get the feeding sorted out, I'm gonna re-barrel it to .17 Rem straight away. I've got enough .223's...

·
Registered
749 Posts

Nothing overly fine about this shotgun but a classic. Got a good buy on a very nice sweet sixteen 26” with a vent rib. Dated in the 50’s. Doesn’t look like it ever saw action. And, the screws are even in good shape. They are usually all bent out of shape from a professional amateur gunsmith like myself taking it apart.
I’m not much of a shotgun man but I’ve been thinking about picking up a few classics. Yours looks like a fine example. What was in the Cooper box?😏

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ha good eye. A 338-06 Excalibur. Just got done with some load development shooting a 210 partition. Here’s a 4 shot group from the other day. Took me a while to find a load with the partition for some reason but calling it good for now.

That dog will hunt! Elk rifle?

·
Registered
749 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.