Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Haven't seen anything of interest lately. I lean heavily toward pre-war German rifles; Drillings, double rifles, combination guns, sporting Mausers and Mannlicher/Schoenauers. Or, British double rifles or singles. Have an itch for an Alexander Henry in something like the 375, 2 inch or a Gibbs Farquharson in something the 350 Gibbs but am having difficulty convincing myself to spend that much on a rifle again. Whatever it is it will have to be old and chambered for a cartridge that's rare.

Reactions: Bob58

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
A few days ago this one caught my eye. Momma cleared it for purchase and I believe I'll call the seller today and make an offer....maybe. First I have to decide between the rifle or a car lift. It's getting to be less and less fun working underneath cars up on jack stands. I enjoy the work, just not the position....lol

CARL TELCH 16 GAUGE AND 43 MAUSER CAPE GUN WITH SIDELOCKS AND REBOUNDING HAMMERS for sale (gunsinternational.com)

The engraving is very similar to that on my Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling and it's on a Lefaucheux action as is my Goldmann double rifle. Difference being this combination gun has the added dolls head extension, which the Goldmann lacks. This one is pre 1891-93 proof law, qualifies as an antique and is a BP firearm. I have considerable experience with the 11.15 X 60R cartridge, often known as the 43 Mauser and have an abundance of 2 1/2 in., 16 bore ammo.

Reactions: Wibb

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
The lever on the bottom of the forearm pushes to the right to open the action, rotating two lugs in the body of the action that correspond to two mortises in a lug on the bottom of the barrel. The action pulls the barrel set down tight on the water table. The dolls head extension helps to keep the action against the standing breech. The Jones Underlever was an improvement upon the LeFaucheux action in that the "key", as the forearm lever was known, was moved to beneath the trigger guard with a knob turned down. In addition to pulling the barrel flats down tight against the water table, it also cammed them rearward, tight against the standing breech. The Jones was capable of handling cartridges of considerably higher pressures than the LeFaucheux. The LeFaucheux dates from the 1830's as a pin fire and Henry Jones developed his action in the 1860's.

Here's a good picture of a Johann Outschar stalking rifle on a Jones underlever action. I thought I had a picture of my Goldmann on the LeFaucheux action but can't find it

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Wood Gun barrel

The same rifle on top. Bottom is an unmarked German drilling on a Jones underlever.

Wood Grass Automotive exterior Twig Tints and shades

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Well, did you get it? It's a nice looking rifle and I know a guy who may have a bullet mold 😁
No Bob. I'm still waffling over a lift or a firearm. I had another spotted I would have bought as it was about $1200 less expensive. I offered, he declined and as it was so unusual I thought I'd play the long game and let it set on his rack for a couple months. Darn thing sold the next day.....lol! Maybe glad I didn't spring for either. A/C went out yesterday and it's old enough the whole system has to be replaced.

Are you going to the gun show in Doolittle Saturday? A friend from Canada and I will be there.

Roman, are you talking about a Browning? My wife shot a 20 bore, Browning O/U Superlight(?), is that right? I'm not much on shotguns either. It was a pretty decent shotgun and easy for her to handle.

Edit: Here's that one I thought I would end up with. IIRC his asking price was $895.00. I should have just bought it. Interesting Tesching rifle in an equally interesting "Rook & Rabbit", or "Garden Gun" kind of cartridge. I looked it up in Donnely's and brass is easily formed from 357 cases. As the groove of these rifles almost always slug at .257-.258 rather that .264 it makes one wonder if it wasn't the inspiration for the supposedly new 5.7 X 28. There is truly nothing new under the sun.

Pre WW1 Cristoph Funk Single Shot "Tesching" Rifle chambered in 6.5x27R ** Beautiful & Scarce!! ** for sale (gunsinternational.com)

Reactions: Bob58

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
That's right, hers was a Citori. It's been so long ago I forgot. After a couple rounds of shooting clay birds in the pasture and one bird hunt there was no further interest so I traded it for something....what I have no idea.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Sharps: Some day (hopefully in the long distant future) you are going to make your heirs very happy... or a gun museum. You have quite the collection of really cool firearms.
Thank you manitou. I had to look back and see which one that was. I didn't get it as it had been sold. I told the seller if the buyer returned it I'd like a chance at it. Evidently the buyer liked it.....and I can't imagine why.

I did pick up a Husqvarna 1640 in 6.5 Swede recently. Matter of fact I'll hunt with it today. Not nearly so interesting as the Telch but, I have been laying in ambush for a Husky in 6.5 Swede for a few years. Turns out it's a shooter as well! 'Course, the three Husky's I have are all shooters so I shouldn't be surprised.

Edit: Hmmm.. I looked at that GI listing and usually they say "this item has been sold." It doesn't say that about the Telch. I sent the seller a message to see if it has been returned. Curious about this one.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Well, it turns out the Telch was never actually sold. I e-mailed the seller and he told me he'd put the gun back for a guy who never returned. The seller says he's had a low ball offer that was turned down. Apparently he has the gun on consignment is his shop in Washington state. Gonna have to play this one carefully as I've shot my wad on firearm purchases this year....and a 30K+ addition to the detached shop.....which didn't amount to much of an addition!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts