Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For everyone that enjoys adding guns to their collection. Would be interested to hear what you find interesting that you have or what’s on your list. Everyone has a difference of opinion. To some they are just tools. On the other end, worthy of acquiring for varying reasons.

For me it’s a mix of both. I won’t own a gun that I don’t actual use to some degree. Let’s hear what you like to use, buy, or want to buy.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,192 Posts
The most recent that I bought was a dream gun, that I've wanted since the 1980s (when they quit making them). I actually wanted a 6", but this 4" is really nice. I sold my Bushmaster to fund it.

The only gun I'm currently watching for, is a blue Ruger Wrangler. I already have black, bronze, silver, and OD green. I've seen a few blue ones online, but none in person.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm in a transition phase of life I guess. For years I've been a titanium, carbon, stainless, cerekote, synthetic kind of guy. Mainly because of the simplicity and utility, as I'm often going on destination hunts.

Lately, I find myself irresistibly drawn back to my roots of walnut and blued steel. In the last year I've bought a JM Marlin in .35 Rem, a Kimber of Oregon 82 with above average wood in .22 Hornet, a Cooper M51 Montana Varminter with AAA+ claro in .223 (soon to be .17 Rem) and a minty Sako A1 Deluxe Forrester in .243 Win.

I'll likely continue to destination hunt with that high tech stuff, but for hunting around here, I simply find more pleasure in fielding fine walnut and blued steel. Getting old I guess?

Reactions: doepee

·
Registered
69,953 Posts
Old here...talking about me but I do like older guns rifle , shotgun or handgun categories. Probably be an older Winchester 94 will be my next intentionally sought after gun. Still trying to talk my Dad into selling me his Colt Diamondback with a 2 inch barrel. He says I'll get it someday.

·
Registered
32,535 Posts
I'm wanting a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV Lite for plinking and some sort of 22 revolver. Those are at the top of my list, but I'm always looking. Lately, ive had an affinity for shotguns.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I'm too rough on my things, so I don't mind plastic. Since my wife likes revolvers and has two .357 (686 and a Taurus) - I'd like to run across a lever action .357 to go with it, I know where one is for $800 and I just haven't gotten off my wallet - I want a Sig 365 micro but haven't gotten off my wallet - and I keep an eye out for a Marlin MR7 all the time to go with the one I currently have (hoping to find the rare .243 or 25-06) - overall I'm not really looking for new calibers, I'd stick with what I currently have due to ammo. I spent enough the past 10 months so unless I run across a deal, I will be sitting on what I have for now, my sons trap shooting is like throwing money in the wind so I don't see me rushing to buy any right now

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would like to add a M1 garand and a savage 99 to the collection, i have most of what i want. I would probably be more interested in stocking ammo for what i have if prices come down. I would like to maybe have a savage 24 in a couple of configurations also. I will never turn down a good deal but seems like the last six months none have shown themselves to me.

·
1,229 Posts
My son is starting to get closer to the size of shooting adult rifles so I have been prowling for a 7mm-08. Was set on a cheaper Axis with SS barrel. But I have been shooting a newer Browning hells canyon in 300 WM and I love it. I might just bite the bullet and get another. I have also been looking at the Kimber 84M, but as I understand, they quit making those. I have always been partial to Browning and Winchester and would hop on an XPR if I could ever find one of their Cerakote models available but after several years looking I think I'd have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa.

·
Registered
31,720 Posts
I just picked up a 280 Ackley Improved from the smith this week. Pre '64 M70 action, Brux barrel, McMillan stock. Get to shoot it this weekend and can't wait.
As far as the wish list, I would love to have an Anschutz 22 mag.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked up a 280 Ackley Improved from the smith this week. Pre '64 M70 action, Brux barrel, McMillan stock. Get to shoot it this weekend and can't wait.
As far as the wish list, I would love to have an Anschutz 22 mag.
That sounds like a sweet rifle. Have to share some pics and let us know how it shoots.

I have a project gun being put together currently. Debated heavily on the 280ai. My action is no pre 64. But have some hunts coming up in the next few years and having an old sporterized Mauser 98 my grandfather gave me when I turned 18 rebuilt to use for them. Hart spiral flute, McMillan, new trigger group etc. Ended up going 300 win. Hope it turns out well.

·
Registered
31,720 Posts
That sounds like a sweet rifle. Have to share some pics and let us know how it shoots.

I have a project gun being put together currently. Debated heavily on the 280ai. My action is no pre 64. But have some hunts coming up in the next few years and having an old sporterized Mauser 98 my grandfather gave me when I turned 18 rebuilt to use for them. Hart spiral flute, McMillan, new trigger group etc. Ended up going 300 win. Hope it turns out well.
Mauser 98 is a fine foundation for a hunting rifle. I like big extractors and I cannot lie.
I had this one built for my wife's western rig. It isn't pretty but it was my dad's gun I had rebarreled. I still hunt with a 300 win M70 extreme weather. If the 280 performs like I hope I will sell mine and have another built.
If a person shoots factory ammo the 300 is hard to beat. It is a lot harder on brass than the ackley and I don't particularly enjoy load development shooting a lot of rounds off a bench with it. I am shooting 210 accubonds at 2900 fps and you know when it goes off. The ackley should give similar velocity with 170 grain bullets using quite a bit less powder and recoil. I don't know if I will build the next one on a Ruger or M70 action.

·
Registered
69,953 Posts
been buying some older winchester 94. got a rifle in 38-55 and a model 64 deluxe in 30-30.

Recently sold some saddle ring carbines in 30-30 and 38-55, a pre 64 carbine in 30-30 and a takedown model 55 in 32 win special.
Any more of those pre 64 model 94's for sale. 30-30 works for me as long as its 94 with good wood.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
been buying some older winchester 94. got a rifle in 38-55 and a model 64 deluxe in 30-30.

Recently sold some saddle ring carbines in 30-30 and 38-55, a pre 64 carbine in 30-30 and a takedown model 55 in 32 win special.
Would love to find a pre 64 model 94 to use as a scabbard gun. Have a Heym over under 20ga I use when training dogs in the scabbard but would like to find a rifle that would make a good scabbard gun.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in a transition phase of life I guess. For years I've been a titanium, carbon, stainless, cerekote, synthetic kind of guy. Mainly because of the simplicity and utility, as I'm often going on destination hunts.

Lately, I find myself irresistibly drawn back to my roots of walnut and blued steel. In the last year I've bought a JM Marlin in .35 Rem, a Kimber of Oregon 82 with above average wood in .22 Hornet, a Cooper M51 Montana Varminter with AAA+ claro in .223 (soon to be .17 Rem) and a minty Sako A1 Deluxe Forrester in .243 Win.

I'll likely continue to destination hunt with that high tech stuff, but for hunting around here, I simply find more pleasure in fielding fine walnut and blued steel. Getting old I guess?
How do you like your Cooper? Picked one up from a fellow member and have really enjoyed shooting it so far. Just recently worked up a load for 210 partitions with it and it shoots very well.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts