Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is you guys favorite duck gun? Semi or Auto?

And what is your favorite shell, size, shot, etc....

From what I hear Blackclowd is the best, but way overated?
Im looking at buying a new shotgun, and a case of Ammunition over the holidays... Im currently using a Remington 870 supermag shooting 3 1/2 BB and 2. However its my turkey gun and I dont want to rely on it to much longer.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
depends on you wallet size trout master.. shell wise i like #2 for just about everything.. any name brand really dont matter much. heck the guy i took today was shootin a old remington from like the 70's with 2 3/4 inch #2 and was foldin them like blankets.. if they work the way they are supoosed to nothing bigger is needed.. i shoot a mossbergh auto and pump.. soeger is a good money gun for sure.. just make sure the gun fits you is all thats the best advice anyone could give ya..

·
just one of the idiots talking on MWT, right Red?
8,923 Posts
3" #2 for ducks
move up to BBs for geese

used Dad's Mossberg Revelation 12ga pump with the Western Auto stamp (circa 1960s) last year & killed my share
moved up to a Beretta 12ga semi-auto & havent done too bad with the few birds i've seen early season
i just get to the plug faster with the Beretta

best fit & you can shoot best would be my recommendation

Rogers Sporting Goods has Federal Steel loads for $99/case & FREE shipping
http://store.rogerssportinggoods.com/servlet/-strse-1116/WF140-Federal-3"-Speed-dsh-Shok/Detail

good luck

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by Son_of_Cold_Duck]

·
2,644 Posts
Beretta semi auto @ wal-mart for $547....3" 1's, 2's or BB's.....just have to shoot a few of each and see what load patterns the best before you buy a whole case

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Well I use my Remington 11-87 in 12ga. It is the only semi auto shotgun I own. A pump gun not condusize to fast fallow up shots on ducks and geese.

For ammo I use the Winchester X pert steel shot. Depending on the sale I get a case for 55.00 or 70.00 befor taxes. Alot better then the other non lead shot stuff. If its not on sale its almost 200.00 a case so i vulture for the saels.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Me....

Semi auto all the way, all ive shot in the last 10 years

Currently I love me beretta xtrema2

Out of it i shoot some hot reloads.. 3" #2's

If i am buying off the shelf I would go with:

a. Kent 3" #3's 1 1/8oz shot
b. Hevishot 3" #4's 1 1/4 shot

For geese.. i still usually shoot 3" and i mainly use #2 hevishot :cheers:

·
13,391 Posts
I shoot my 870 magnum express and never have a problem with a second shot.. I seldom go to the plug though..It is a synthetic 3 inch chamber with a 26 inch barrel.. It is made for waterfowling... I shoot #2's most of the time but will pony up to the BB's if the geese are a probability...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts