Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK All...

Here are the symptoms of my current outboard ailment.

In nuetral, full throttle, RPM's seem fine and motor sounds perfect.

In forward, RPM's seem like they only get to half of what is expected and boat goes forward but at about 1/4 of the speed it should.

In reverse, RPM's seem fine and boat moves as expected.

Motor Type: 40 HP Mercury

What do you all think? I have my suspicions but can't quite put my finger on it.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I've had that a couple times and it was a bad bulb. Nothing wrong with checking out the plugs either. Those are both pretty cheap fixes.

Parker

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad bulb? You mean that little sqeezy doohickie??? That thing seemed pretty "tight".

And...if it was either of those...why does it rev up fine in nuetral and reverse?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
my observation would be to check your lower unit gears, if it goes fine in reverse, there may be a problem down there.

if it was pure fuel wouldnt it do the same in reverse?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "on the water experts" (us guys) did notice one thing during our informal "tests"....

In my best boat repair terms....

The one cam doohickie that all the little lever doohickies connects to that pushes open another doohickie seems to push open the last doohicke a lot further when in forward than it does when in nuetral.

Us "on the water experts" are of the mind that the last doohickie might be what controls how much gas goes in the piston chamber and therefor could it be flooding somewhat? Would it even fire if the mixture was not right?

One last thing....twice it ran like this and then for no apparent reason "kicked in" and ran great. It just didn't ever "self correct" the third time.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
could be carbs but i'll put five on the lower unit

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I'm telling you caf....the first thing I'd do it put a new fuel line (including a new bulb dooleyjobber). This will be the problem a lot of the time (these parts wear out due to dealing with the elements) and its a 'cheap' fix, even if it ends up that's not the problem.

Parker

·
Registered
835 Posts
I had a similar problem on the bass boat I used to have. I replaced just the bulb, but that didn't fix it. I couldn't figure it out, so I replaced the entire fuel line, and it never had that problem again. There are a couple of check balls in the fuel line that allow you to preassurize the fuel to the motor, I guess they start sticking over time. I recommend replacing it from the tank to the motor fitting. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Loose nut behind the controls!:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::toilet:

·
5,632 Posts
I'm with Pman. When those fuel line connections get loose or there's an opening somewhere, it'll suck air and do just what you're describing.

From my experience anyways.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
I'm telling you caf....the first thing I'd do it put a new fuel line (including a new bulb dooleyjobber). This will be the problem a lot of the time (these parts wear out due to dealing with the elements) and its a 'cheap' fix, even if it ends up that's not the problem.

Parker
same exact problem with a friends ,sounded good till you tried pulling away

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I had a 60 Mariner. Similar problems and intermitant others. Mine was the "Brain Box" Put in a new one and it ran fine......till it puked years later.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK....

brain box and fuel line...

Do you all think any old gomer (i.e.: me) can replace those two things or do I need to take it somewhere?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I KNOW that you can replace the fuel line on your own gomer, that's why I'm suggesting that first. Just hit the local marina and have them set you up (if not just Wally World if you're in a big lake area). :cheers:

Parker

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.