GTOHunters Journal & Mis-Adventures

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by GTOHunter, Jan 4, 2015.

1. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

He was a Beautiful up an coming Buck that would visit our Farm every 5-7 days then disappear and show up a week or so later!

Attached Files:

2. GTOHunter

Mr. Crabby Claws was smart and nocturnal...He was my Idol. :whistle:

Attached Files:

3. GTOHunter

I hadn't seen Him for a while and kept my trail cameras running thru Rifle Season past Bow Season into Mar/Apr hoping to see Him make it thru and find His Sheds......?

Finally after walking our Farm Dec,Jan and Feb I found a complete Dead Deer (Buck) carcass/skeleton in our woods,walking up to it I recognized the Antlers,it was Mr. Crabby Claws...I was devastated yet happy that I was the one to find him on Feb 18 2010.I called the local Game Warden and got the proper papers and had Him resurrected back to his former Glory!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  4. GTOHunter

Close-Up of Crabby Claws

Attached Files:

5. GTOHunter

This is how I found Him Feb 18 2010.....correct Year!

Attached Files:

6. GTOHunter

Another picture!

Attached Files:

7. GTOHunter

Live from my new 17' ladder stand...Sept 15-2015...!

Upper hillside with 3 trails running by,1 N-S and 2 E-W just above a small fresh water creek.Bottom Field below & Ridge Top to my upper right with a cool south to north breeze that is dying down.No action yet cept for a few Squirrels.....Shhhhhh! :wave:

Attached Files:

8. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
  9. GTOHunter

You too Radio....hope a You put an Arrow/Bolt thru one of those 2 Bucks Your chasing! ;)

Didn't mention it yesterday but when I was walking out I walked back up the small trail to the mowed Ridge Field I had something jump up out of a patch of waist high grass we left in the corner,at first I thought "Quail" but it ran out and was bigger then "Coyote" came to mind and I pulled my Bow up for a shot.To my surprise it was a very Young Fawn with spots that stopped about 25 yards away looking back at me then walked into the woods.I couldn't believe there was a Fawn that small and with spots still running around and it was barely knee high?All the other Fawns I have on camera are loosing their spots and aren't hiding in the grass/weeds and are plenty big and healthy enough to run away on their own!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  10. GTOHunter

Sept 15,2015 opening day of Archery Season

Sat in my new ladder stand off Ridge Top,1/2 down hill side.Had a Deer blow at Me right before dark,checked trail camera and walked out up-hill...jumped up a Young Fawn in corner tall grassy area!

Saturday Sept. ? Sat in Rivers Edge ladder stand,1st bottom field.Had a Doe & Fawn walk out to opposite end of food plot then about 15 minutes later another Doe came out from same bedding area.

Mon.,Sept 25, (Early Moon up high at 3:30 PM) sat in Big Game Ladder Stand over-looking Ridge Field.Had a 1-1/2 Year Old Buck walk out from north to south...fed a little then went down logging road to bottom field.10 minutes later a Doe & Fawn walked along woods on left side of Ridge Top,cross in front and walk out away from me.Saw 2 Deer in Food Plot behind Pond and had 3 Deer in food plot in middle of Field while walking back in the dark.....lost my Release from pants pocket between my House and stand! :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. GTOHunter

Finally felt like I Acomplished something for myself this week.I hooked up the brush hog and cleared up several paths and trails around the Farm,widened a few edges where the Coyotes slip out into the Ridge field so I can get a better shot at them,then I raised the mower and trimmed the tops on 2 of my older Clover Plots on Sunday and mowed around the edges of several other Plots that were planted in Aug.!

Today Oct 5 Monday I hooked up the disc and broke ground where I mowed off 2 spots that were sprayed with round up last month and I had mowed down on Sunday!Even tho I got a late start on these 2 plots they were at my favorite spots I've taken Deer off of and it felt good to fix them myself! :bowing:

I did a mixture of Turnips,Rape,Brassicas,Raddishes and some Clover for good measure!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  12. GTOHunter

Few of the Bucks on the Farm!

Attached Files:

13. GTOHunter

Another

Attached Files:

14. GTOHunter

Younger Buck

Attached Files:

15. GTOHunter

Home Made Deer Stand-Elevated Box Blind

Didn't see an Area where I could put a a Post for Home made Box Blinds so I decided to just list it in my Journal.

I was able to get a pair of Metal Racks that were obsolete and slightly damaged from a Friend.He had an extra set and said I could have them and also 6 Orange braces that clips in to hold them together.I picked them up on my 18 ft CAR Trailer and then hung over another 2-4 feet.First thing was to catch a Nice Sunny dry day and pressure Spray it off so I can primer any rust spots and so it has a clean surface to apply different colors of Camo Spray paint to conceal it better!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  16. GTOHunter

Spraying them off inside and out....after they dry and we get another nice warm day the Camp Paint will fly!

Attached Files:

17. GTOHunter

All stacked up and being pressured sprayed off.

Attached Files:

18. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    that will be one dandy blind! Sure gonna be cozy when the wind is blowing and snow is flying late next season:eek::

19. GTOHunter

The Orange Braces are a little over 8' long,and when I put several 2x4's across them a 4x8 sheet of plywood should fit right in with a little wiggle room to spare...so plans are to put 2 braces at the bottom to secure everything,then go up about 15-18 feet and start a floor and build the box blind up from there depending on the height and where the roof should be?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  20. GTOHunter

I hope so Radio....it's gonna be a good Coyote/Predator Hunting Stand too!
    I'm going to buy some of the Camo Metal Siding so it's protected better and last longer!

Attached Files: