Grunting, Rattling, or Bleating

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by shores, Oct 29, 2010.

1. shores

shores Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Fenton
    When you get in the stand what time is the earliest that you usually start calling? Like time of day. I'm always afraid to call right at first light, feel like they haven't woke up yet.

2. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    i call like 30 minutes after i get to the stand...so sometimes that is in the dark but its natural for deer to communicate in the dark and that deer may hear that and wont come check it out till daylight! has happened a WHOLE bunch for me!:D

3. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    and deer are nocturnal..so call too late and they will be asleep!

4. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    I wait until the woods get noisy after I walk in. Put out some bleats wait a few minutes and follow up with some grunts. Drives the bucks crazy but lately no shooters.

5. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
    I usually rattle right at shooting light..have called in some big ones right at dawn and right at dusk, but very rarely call in one around midday....I also grunt about every 30 minutes or so:pop:

6. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    I'm very agressive with calling at different times of the year and not so at others...but I never call in the first hour of light unless I see a deer that's not coming in.

7. Cornfed

Cornfed New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    After spooking enough deer walking to my stand, I kepp my grunt out and use it if I break a twig or if I do spook one up. I have had one hang-up long enough for first light to come and me see what he was.

Just FYI he was a shooter in some people's book, but he barely got a pass from me because it was opening weekend of gun season.

8. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
    usually when I snap a branch, I let out a few turkey clucks

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    If it is late oct to late dec, I let out a series of grunts right when it is legal light. Doing it before then, because you hear deer moving through just out of your night vision, I can tell you, is a bad idea. Their night visionis way better than ours, and it is very easy for them to pick us off when we don't know we are being watched.

Waiting until they wake up? They have been out feeding and messing around all night.

Parker

10. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Pretty much the same as Parker....

Most of the year I only call when I see a buck I want to try to bring closer. When things start to heat up I use rattling, grunters, and bleats at frequent intervals all day long.

11. get-r-done

get-r-done New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Mtn. Grove MO.
    I make a few calls right after I get in my stand you know not all of us can be real quiat getting in the stand and I have called a few in before light if not I wait till just after day light.

12. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

Call whenever you feel like it and can see well enough to shoot.