Grunt or not grunt...What would you do?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by mohunter32, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    So the closest conservation area (CA) to me is about a 1 hour drive. This is where I've been bowhunting this year. The area I like is on a ridge that drops, according to the topo maps, 80 feet to a creek. Then there is another tall ridge on the other side of the creek. It is a buck only CA during gun season. If I was to see a buck on the other ridge or down in the creek area, do you think he would come to a grunt call? Would a buck go down one ridge, cross a creek and up the other hill?

2. mofarmboy

mofarmboy Active Member

Nov 18, 2007
    central mo.
    worth a shot......dont think you'll hurt anything tryin.....if u get a can call i'd throw a few of those along in.

3. mohunter32

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I've got one of those some where. Just don't know when the right time to use it is.

4. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    I plan on makin some noise this weekend

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1877286&tid=130761&author=mohunter32]I've got one of those some where. Just don't know when the right time to use it is.[/rquote]

Blind calling with a can call can be very effective. Not sure there is a wrong time. Well, I guess if you have deer looking in your direction, it might no be the best time to use it.:)

6. stlhawk

stlhawk New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I grunted at a buck going away at 80 yrds and he did not even flinch. Gave him a snort wheeze and he stopped in his tracks and looked my way. When he turned his head again to walk away another snort wheeze brought him in from close to 100yrds in fairly heavy cover. He walked and would stop looking for the other buck and i arrowed him at 30 yrds. Wait until they look away and try everything. You never know.

7. vmcfadden

vmcfadden Member

Oct 5, 2008
    PA
    If he hears you and is interested he will come in to check it out.

8. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

DEFINITELY GRUNT!!!!!!!

9. mohunter32

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I think I will give it a try. I've tried calling in the past seasons. I've never had any luck at all. Guess it can't hurt to try again.

10. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

I personally don't on public land as calling is not nearly as effective for deer or turkey in my experience. They have had about every call thrown at them already. It was the same thing when I went elk hunting in Idaho 5 years ago. Had more luck after I put the call away and some others that have hunted the area for years said the same thing. :cheers: