Growing

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Mailman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Stocked my pond a few years back and just started last year to keep a few bass in the one pound range to eat. Seems to be paying off with some larger bass. Caught these two last Wednesday slow rolling a white spinnerbait just off the bottom. These two got fooled and put up a good fight. I released both to fight another day but did bring home a mess of smaller ones for tomorrows dinner. Bass from our pond 10-26-17 #1.jpg Bass from our pond 10-26-17 #2.jpg

2. BustinBucks

BustinBucks Shotgun Instructor

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    That's cool. What kind of trad fishing gear do you use?

CRE10, Wings Fan 19 and KChunter like this.

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

Traditional double willow leaf white skirt spinner bait thrown with an ultra lite Mitchell 308 with 6 lb line on a 5 1/2 foot Eagle Claw two piece rod.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Crappie and DCSarchette like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Nice fish!!! Well done, Bill!

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Really nice!!!! Any worms in the fillets?

6. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I will check prior to cooking.

7. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    Is that Mitchell German made or French?

8. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I
    I'll have to check. Bought it back in the late 60's or early 70's.

9. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    In that time frame I would guess that it was German made. Those are the good ones! I have one from the early seventies that's German made. Its a full size spinning reel.

10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    That should be the 300 model.

11. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
  12. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    That last one looks like a 10 pounder being so close to the camera. Why not stock catfish instead of bass if you're just fishing to eat? Or maybe even bluegill will taste better than a LMB. Just sayin.

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I stocked all three but the bass are more fun to catch......except bluegill on a fly rod.

Crappie, DCSarchette and cy912 like this.
  14. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Nice catch.

15. Ginzu

Ginzu New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Mailman, if I may, how large is the pond? Exactly how long ago did you stock? I have a 1/4 acre and just did a spring and fall stocking done this year of bass, bluegill, minnows and catfish and wondering how long I need to wait.
    Thanks!

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sad to say it is only a 1/4 acre also and was stocked quite awhile ago in 2001. We had a bunch of fat head minnows plus a bunch of tiny bluegills followed by 30 channel cats and 50 large mouth bass. We didn't do much else to the pond after that. A few times a year I'd throw a lure or two to see if they had spawned and always caught a variety of sizes. The reason we didn't do much else over the years was that the pond filled up so fast after it was built it was always muddy. I at first thought it was the cats stirring up the bottom searching for food. Turns out that the clay particles were suspended in the water and would never settle to the bottom because they had a positive charge from the water running in so fast the first week it was built. We had a huge amount of rain that first week when the pond was built. I tried the cheap way to make the particles drop to the bottom but none of the ways worked. I could have spent a bunch of money and had chemicals slurry sprayed on the surface of the pond that attached the clay particles and drew them to the bottom and cleared up the pond. Didn't have the extra cash at the time so we just let it go. I doubt that the bass in the photos are the original fish we stocked but are their offspring. I do think I will stop by the fish hatchery not 5 miles from my place and pick up a few thousand fat head minnows to help fatten up the bass that are in the pond now. I really haven't tried to catch the cats or bluegills but maybe I should give that a go. leaves #11.jpg Pond.jpg

17. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    No worms in these. Back when I fished neighboring farm ponds I kept even the larger bass and those were the ones that I'd find worms. MDC says you can leave them in but I always cut them out.

DCSarchette likes this.
  18. Ginzu

Ginzu New Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Mailman, thanks for the info. I am told my spring stocked cats should be about a pound and my bluegill should be about 5 inches.

19. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Wife and I ate the 5 one pounders tonight for dinner. No fishy taste at all. Wife said they were better than the white bass from Truman Lake. I'll fish out a few more next week when I go down for more bow hunting.

DCSarchette and Crappie like this.
  20. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Well done my friend!!