Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
441 - 456 of 456 Posts

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I hade same problem this year . Last year my trees produced about 100 nuts . This year about half dozen .
We had a deal late frost that hit mine hard . Two of my grafted trees actually died and they were 4 yrs old .
Did you have frost after your trees put on green leaves ?
If you guys would kill them in their infancy like me you wouldn't have these problems

·
Quack
5,497 Posts
Only 8/10 sprouted, put in the ground on 4/28.
Ozark chinquapin
Plant Groundcover Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Annual plant

·
Registered
18,819 Posts
I've never considered the chinquapins at my place. Our soils here are too heavy.
Do you have any sites that are well drained? I dug some holes out at my farm and checked after heavy rains to see if they would hold water; they never did.

The Ozark chinquapins are doing well on that site. The seeds were planted last fall to go ahead with the winter stress and several germinated and are growing well.

I was surprised to find some growing on a few sites I wasn't sure they could handle out there as well.

All my upland soils are in a loam category (adair, gara).

·
Quack
5,497 Posts
Do you have any sites that are well drained? I dug some holes out at my farm and checked after heavy rains to see if they would hold water; they never did.

The Ozark chinquapins are doing well on that site. The seeds were planted last fall to go ahead with the winter stress and several germinated and are growing well.

I was surprised to find some growing on a few sites I wasn't sure they could handle out there as well.

All my upland soils are in a loam category (adair, gara).
Yes, I've got a few spots that from what I've read seem to be ideal.
We did some cedar eradication 10 years ago with MDC on ~22 acres in 3 different south facing slopes.
They look like the glade restoration zones in some conservation areas now, but I'm hoping the chestnuts thrive.

Reactions: letemgrow

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Been awhile since I posted about my chestnuts in my orchard. Got a lot of flowers this year, and on all sizes of trees.
Plant Cloud Sky Branch Flower
Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Groundcover Flowering plant

Even my potted trees are flowering. Probably 50% of my 1 yr potted trees have blooms. And nearly all of the 2 and 3 yr trees too.
Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Building

If burs form on the potted ones, I'll cut them out. Need investment in vegetative growth, not nuts while in the pot...

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
catkins :D

You have the method down, great looking trees.

Reactions: gurgalunas

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,211 Posts
What variety chestnut tress do you have gurg ? dunstans ? ........Ozark ****** are a hard one to grow imo,,,finicky ,,,,need rocky soils and well drained

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
What variety chestnut tress do you have gurg ? dunstans ? ........Ozark ** are a hard one to grow imo,,,finicky ,,,,need rocky soils and well drained
Yes, the nuts are sourced from a Dunstan orchard.

I've always heard the same about the ozark chinquapins so havent tried. I think Phil (letemgrow) may be growing some though.

·
Registered
18,819 Posts
Yes, the nuts are sourced from a Dunstan orchard.

I've always heard the same about the ozark chinquapins so havent tried. I think Phil (letemgrow) may be growing some though.

Gotta get back up to the farm and check them this year. They're growing with some pure American chestnuts, which may produce a cross.

441 - 456 of 456 Posts