Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
421 - 440 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice . Have you grown pecan in pots before ? I'm curious how they will do .
Last year I started come ozark chinquapin for a member in my green house . They came up strong but then all took a turn for the worst mid summer .
I think spring planting they would have been better off .
Same with some buckeye seed came up good in pots then nosedive
This is my first time trying. I got about 70 pounds of pecans off the trees around my farmhouse so I decided to try to sprout some to plant up the driveway to my new house. I figured 1400' of driveway lined with pecan trees would look great and give my kids squirrels to shoot for years to come.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,693 Posts
90acres
If you look at the analysis of tree spikes, and their weight, you'll soon see you're paying one heck of a premium for glue. Don't.
Buy all purpose farm-grade 13-13-13, or some such. A 1:2:1 ratio is probably better for trees, though.
Urea is the cheapest form of N. You better have a good sprinkler though, cause you can burn with it. I side dress trees. (Treflan sprinklers work well for them. Can't think of the brand name.)

Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
I use a lot of Preen Plus by Woodace. It has Treflan for annual grasses, but also Gallery herbicide for some broadleaf control too.

If you can find someplace that sells Milorganite, use that for established trees. Organic, no burn potential. Makes them hop...

Use a drill with augers bit to drill holes on the compass (N, S, E, W) and fill. Drill at the outer edge of branches, or at least 12" for yearling trees.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,693 Posts
Interesting you say that, Gurg.
We "fertilize" trees with a Mil-O/compost mix. Really it's called vertical mulching in the trade. Auger 2" holes, kick the clay off to let the winter work it around, and fill the holes.
NO tree we are called on to do something with needs more N, P, or K. What they need is some tilth and friability in the soil... and he who dies with the most organics wins!
Surprising things it does to old trees in compacted soils.

Reactions: letemgrow

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Agree completely. I dont use a 2" bit, dont have a drill capable of running one of those. Probably closer to 1.5". But yes, the relief of compaction, better water penetration, etc are great. Also a good opportunity to deal with chlorosis if that's an issue...

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
A couple chestnut pics. Got this group of chestnuts last fall from Gurgs. I planted what I could, but then put the rest in the downstairs unheated garage, gave them a bit of water early on, but then kept it dark and cool and hoped they would go dormant. Thought I lost them all when I checked them and the soil was as dry as could be. Decided to put them outside in my raised garden and mulch with straw for the rest of winter. It looks like it worked.
Single tree pic is one of several that I planted last fall. Showing good buds. Planted another 5 today.
Was supposed to be walking my daughter down the aisle, but planted chestnut trees instead.
Plant Plant community Flower Land lot Grass
Plant Plant community Tree Vegetation Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
Agree, this has been a great growing season for my chestnut trees. Just watered some today since it has been a while since our last rain.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
My 2 surviving originals are about 6' tall. I think they are 3 or 4 yrs old.

I have 3 sprouts from the 6 I live planted this year. 2 of them are around a foot tall.

Im no green thumb when it comes to trees , so if I get 4 healthy trees in my grove to produce nuts , I will call it a win.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
So I finally got around to sorting the chestnuts I sprouted this past spring and grew in pots. What a great crop of trees...

I had 8 trees grade into a 42-48" size, and another 16 as 36-42". 39 were 30-36", and so on...

I also took some of last year's trees and potted them up into 3 gal grow bags, and they range from 4'-6'+ as a 2 year tree!

I'm sure I'll have extras beyond my needs. Expect a FS thread in the near future.

·
Banned
6,277 Posts
should I be concerned, see post #362 above, we had nuts last year and none this year. I was hoping that older larger trees would produce more nuts this year. ????
I hade same problem this year . Last year my trees produced about 100 nuts . This year about half dozen .
We had a deal late frost that hit mine hard . Two of my grafted trees actually died and they were 4 yrs old .
Did you have frost after your trees put on green leaves ?

421 - 440 of 456 Posts