Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I found Dunstan nuts for $6 per lb for XL nuts. Shipping is $12 for up to 10 lbs. I'll try 2 lbs, so if anyone in KC area wants to try some, speak up.

LEG- I assume that is you in that QDMA thread? I'm only 3 pages into it, 48 more pages to go... Where do you get your tubes? The few places I checked we're going to gouge on the shipping.
I'm in I'll take the other 8 lbs I know that's way more than I need but with my lack of green thumb I plan for a lot of failure. I live right around the corner from Rogers so let me know what I need to do to hook up with you. Dunstan's are supposed to be the good ones that Kroll is always talking about right.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm in I'll take the other 8 lbs I know that's way more than I need but with my lack of green thumb I plan for a lot of failure. I live right around the corner from Rogers so let me know what I need to do to hook up with you. Dunstan's are supposed to be the good ones that Kroll is always talking about right.
I just read the post again so if there is a 10lb minimum I will take the other 8 if there's no minimum I will take 4lbs. I'll try to send you a u2u.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
LEG I'm assuming you have tree's producing nuts so in your opinion do deer really seem to prefer them over an acorn. I have a lot of oaks on my place that didn't produce this year. I do plan to plant some more oaks but I want to try to put some chestnuts in the ground too. I can't imagine my oaks aren't going to produce at some point because there huge mature trees. I know the new oaks I plant will be a long time off from producing acorns but I here chestnuts I could have nuts in around 5 years.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I saw the MDC Seedling thread and it got me thinking... I've got a lot of those trees already on my property, and have planted a lot of seedlings from MDC, but I've always wanted to grow chestnuts. I've read a lot of good things about them, but am not really wanting to drop a huge pile of cash to order trees. Anyone here grow them? Tried a search but that function isn't working on my phone for this site...

I did come across a 51 page thread on the QDMA forum with a lot of info on growing them from seed. Seed cost is pretty reasonable, and I have the room to do it. I think I might order some and give it a whirl.
I can't find this 51 page thread you speak of can you post a link when you get a chance?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I guess I can just keep wanting. So I've been reading the qdma planting chestnut formum and let me see if I got this right. When my dunstans nuts get here. I need to put them in a zip lock bag with some damp peat moss, and put them in the fridg. In a couple of months I should see them start to sprout a root. When that happens I should put them in one of those grow trays with the suggested soil and keep them inside next to a window until may or so and then transplant them to there final growing spot. Does this sound about right. Also I'm a little confused about soaking them in water before I put them in the fridg.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Is it to late to plant them outside right now when I get them? My plan isn't as much to grow them inside. I have a screened in back deck that should do the trick on the rodent problem. My plan is to put them in the fridg. then in the spring I was going to put about half of them in the trays on the back deck all summer and transplant them next fall. The other half will come right out of the fridg. and go right in the ground. I was planning on trying it that way to see which one worked better for me. Do I need to soak them in water before I put them in the fridg. and does this plan seem to be ok.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Dunstan's are ordered for us by gurgalunas and I'm about to order some American Chestnut's from Larry. Wish us luck on having the chestnut buffet in about 10 years.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Chestnuts showed up yesterday. Been busy, so I put the package in the fridge for the time being.

FatDan- pm sent yesterday. Let me know when available to meet. No hurry, they are chilling.
I hate this new format. I didn't get your u2u so I just sent you one. Let me know if you don't get it on here and we can figure something else out. I also just got an email from Larry, so my American Chestnuts should be here Monday.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
update!!!!

Last I checked, gurgalunas had a lot more success than I did with the chestnuts. In case anyone wants to try this in the future, this is what happened with mine. First off if I had it to do over again and I will next year, I wouldn't start them in the rootmakers until I actually see a taproot starting to sprout. I started all of mine right out of the fridg. without seeing a taproot and watered them about every 2 to 3 days. I never let the planting mix dry out all the way before watering again. Most of the chestnuts both american and dunstan that I planted developed a lot of mold and most never sprouted. I took them all out and soaked them for about 12 hours and stored them in a zip lock bag with some moist moss and had about a dozen sprout a tap root. Of those and 20 more that I got from a qdma member everyone of them put on some top growth. The bad news is most of mine are damping off as in growing about 6" of top growth and then it will die and start all over again.

So I got some white oaks, swamp white oaks, burr oaks, and some chipakin oaks from a qdma member and put them in the zip lock bags. Of those I had about 95% sprout a tap root and most of them have now started top growth with the swamp whites leading the way with 65 of the 70 not only having top growth but most starting the second growth flush.

In summary I watered the oaks the same way I should have the chestnuts, and that is to let the planting medium dry out completely before adding water and they seem to be doing very well on the south end of my screened in deck. IMO don't waste your time or rootmaker space on a nut that hasn't sprouted a tap root. I now have 12 rootmaker express 18's that are fully planted with deer food producing trees, and now that what I hope is the majority of failure is over I must admit it's been kind of fun watching these nuts turn into trees. Not to mention anytime someone asks what I'm doing I get to say "playing with my nuts" and I'm being completely honest.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Hey LEG would you say now is ok to start direct seeding or would you wait a little longer yet? I got some of those Chinese chestnuts from the guy on qdma that's doing the 1000 trees thing and I think I'm going to direct seed most of them this fall. Your right the root makers are fun but what a commitment they are just to keep them alive.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If I may chime in...

I suggest not direct seeding now. Too much time for your protection to hold up. My method is to store in the fridge with as low of moisture as I dare until about Christmas. This will delay stratification. Then add dampened peat to start the stratification process. By the end of February you should have some starting to sprout in the fridge. Then direct seed them. I only direct seed those that have started to sprout as I know its a good seed. You'll need to do more reading on proper storage.

This is what I have done with Dunstan Chestnut seed, as seedlings are spendy. With full Chinese, I no longer bother with direct seeding, and merely buy seedlings from Virginia Dept of Forestry for about $1 each.
Thanks for the advise it's always good to here other opinions. I've been storing chestnuts and different types of acorns the last two years with the methods you described. I've spent countless hours on the qdma site reading and learning about this and then growing them in root maker 18 trays and then transferring them to root rapper one gallon bags. This summer I finally said enough is enough my time is just worth more than these trees so I was going to try letemgrow's method of direct seeding in the fall this year. He has pretty good success doing it this way as long as the ground is free of cover and he gets the tree tube deep enough to keep anything from digging under it to get to his nuts. I have about 40 Chinese chestnuts a qdma member sent me and the 5 foot tubes to go with them. My area is sprayed and clover is spread so I'm just going to have to buy a roll of weed mat and some stakes and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I plant em October/November. Not sure a couple more weeks of protection is going to make much difference??? Never hurts to plant some now and some in another 2-3 weeks.

These American Chestnuts were planted in October and I checked them the following spring early and both had radicals popping out and the tube/weed free site did the job of protecting them all winter long.

Ok so if I was going to wait a couple weeks as you suggest how would you recommend storage for the couple weeks. Should I do the veggie crisper as I would all winter or just leave them at room temp as they would in nature so to speak? I just got them a few days ago and for now they are just at room temp as I was going to plant them on Sunday but if I'm going to wait I feel like I should do something else. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
LEG another question for you, I'm going to be planting the trees I started last summer as well as direct seeding the nuts I got. I plan to use tree tubes with all of them and I'm going to put the tree tubes at least 2" down in the dirt and 3" if I can get it down that low. With the trees I plan to put weed mat down the way Gurg did. I was thinking about doing this with the nuts as well to help with the competition. Do you think this is a good idea or do you think this would invite mice to get under the mat and allow them to get to the nut. The reason I was doing this is these trees are going in my main 4 acre clover plot along the edges that hopefully this fall and next spring will have a nice stand of clover and winter rye growing around the trees. I don't want the clover and rye to compete with the trees or to provide cover for critters to get to my trees. Would you say the weed mat's a good idea or should I just spray my clover and rye around each tree with round up this fall and next spring and keep it dead around the nuts?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Keep it dead. Any cover just invites rodents in my experience and the ones with cover get smoked inside the tubes in winter. Mats r okay long as there is bare ground far enough around the perimeter to keep rodents from getting to the mats.
Ok sounds good maybe I'll just hold off on the weed mats for the nuts until next spring when they actually start growing a tree.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Learned the hard way they don't like 100 degree temps with mid day sun. Had others growing just as good and they did well on those cool, wet years. Heat smoked those for me. This tree gets some morning sun and a tad mid day then is shaded by a large white oak and hickory all afternoon. Has survived here thru the wet, heat and drought.

Have another cove/drainage with northern reds I'm planting later this fall with afternoon shade that should be good.
It really surprises me the sun smokes them once they get to that size. Everything I read about them says they love the sun but then everyone such as yourself who has actually real life experience growing them says the same thing full day sun will burn them like toast. For the record I listen to you for my advise on anything chestnut. I just figured the sun would smoke them as seedlings but by the time they got that big they would have a good root system established and the sun wouldn't be a problem anymore. Shows how much I know.

I'm not sure if you seen any of my posts on qdma but I put the trees in the ground I started last year from nuts. Of the 30 something trees 8 we're dunstans. I was watering them today and they don't look good. They've been in the ground for about 3 weeks now and only 4 of the 8 have any green left on them. I watered every day the first week now I'm watering every other day. I never would have guessed we would get zero rain for 2 months in September and October. I'm just hoping the great root maker root system they have is taking off and the trees are going dormant and they will bounce back come spring. They have weed mat down and are in 5' tubes. I'm hopeful but not optimistic. I have about 40 nuts to direct seed just in case though.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I never liked planting anything that had green leaves on it at the time. I think the plants go through planter shock, causing them to lose leaves and sometimes die. Like what you just described Craig. I prefer dormant transplant.
Yea that's the one part I didn't read up on. I just always new to plant in the spring and fall and since that's when all the nurseries and box stores sale the trees I just figured that's when you plant them. Since then however I've read a lot and like anything else I've done with these trees I've learned hard lessons.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
On a better note of the 20 something swamp white oaks and burr oaks I planted only about 6 of those have had their leaves turn brown and fall off. A few more have had about half the leaves turn brown but the other half have stayed green which tells me at least some of the roots are taking off down there. Hopefully we get some of this rain this week and I can get some success this year. I will be direct seeding a lot of nuts yet this fall and next spring.

I've decided to direct seed half this fall and next spring I'm going to germinate a bunch of nuts indoors the way I did the last couple years. Only next spring instead of starting all of them in root makers when the sprout a tap root most of them are going to go in the ground in a tree tube. I'm still going to do some in the rootmakers because I actually enjoy doing that and I know I can have some success doing it that way if all else fails but I'm going to scale that part of it back next year as it is just very time consuming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts