Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the MDC Seedling thread and it got me thinking... I've got a lot of those trees already on my property, and have planted a lot of seedlings from MDC, but I've always wanted to grow chestnuts. I've read a lot of good things about them, but am not really wanting to drop a huge pile of cash to order trees. Anyone here grow them? Tried a search but that function isn't working on my phone for this site...

I did come across a 51 page thread on the QDMA forum with a lot of info on growing them from seed. Seed cost is pretty reasonable, and I have the room to do it. I think I might order some and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
31,985 Posts
Plant away and please share your experiences. I'm interested in growing some as well but so far haven't tried it.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Chestnuts are easy to grow from seed. Buy your seed now, store in the crisper in the 'fridge with a lightly damp paper towel through the winter. I start mine in Rootmaker grow pots when the weather warms and place the around the garden so the sprinkler pattern includes them when I water the garden (keep it simple).
Here's a good source for seed if you are ready to order now as they do run out of the select seed each year: http://store.route9cooperative.com/.

I see the image didn't come through......I REALLY dislike the new format. It is not user friendly. I could not find a preview post option nor is loading pictures anywhere as easy as it was before the 'update' occurred. Color me not happy :mad:

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
I fall plant with great success and never have to water/pamper them in the summers in rootmakers. Rootmakers are great...till you go on vacation in summer for 3-5 days and the heat/no water smokes your seedlings :D

If anyone plants seeds, make sure to protect them or squirrels/rodents will find every single one of them. I use tree tubes and put them 1" in the ground and keep the ground around them sprayed so weeds are not inviting to rodents.

If the planting looks like this, you will have great success from seeds and save the time/hassle of growing in pots if you so choose.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found Dunstan nuts for $6 per lb for XL nuts. Shipping is $12 for up to 10 lbs. I'll try 2 lbs, so if anyone in KC area wants to try some, speak up.

LEG- I assume that is you in that QDMA thread? I'm only 3 pages into it, 48 more pages to go... Where do you get your tubes? The few places I checked we're going to gouge on the shipping.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
I order them thru Forestry Suppliers, the protex tubes. Do not use their tab system to secure the tubes, its a joke IMO.

Secure them like this...

Drill your own vent holes and holes for the zip ties to secure to the fiberglass rods. I like these tubes as they seem to last forever. Some are 8 years old now and still doing great.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I found Dunstan nuts for $6 per lb for XL nuts. Shipping is $12 for up to 10 lbs. I'll try 2 lbs, so if anyone in KC area wants to try some, speak up.

LEG- I assume that is you in that QDMA thread? I'm only 3 pages into it, 48 more pages to go... Where do you get your tubes? The few places I checked we're going to gouge on the shipping.
I'm in I'll take the other 8 lbs I know that's way more than I need but with my lack of green thumb I plan for a lot of failure. I live right around the corner from Rogers so let me know what I need to do to hook up with you. Dunstan's are supposed to be the good ones that Kroll is always talking about right.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm in I'll take the other 8 lbs I know that's way more than I need but with my lack of green thumb I plan for a lot of failure. I live right around the corner from Rogers so let me know what I need to do to hook up with you. Dunstan's are supposed to be the good ones that Kroll is always talking about right.
I just read the post again so if there is a 10lb minimum I will take the other 8 if there's no minimum I will take 4lbs. I'll try to send you a u2u.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
U will not see any added benefit from dunstans over say regular Chinese in an orchard type planting. Dr. Krull touts those as real tree nurseries sells them. They r a "variety" that people can really profit from...wildlife willl not profit from them anymore than any other chestnut type.

It's like buying seed at the ag store or buck on a bag seeds....

Buying seeds is a huge money saver, way more than buying Dunstans seedlings. Most all seedlings r Chinese in growth like and apple tree over the American form...

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Also not that those trees pictured r smoked and dead now...summer heat killed them as they got too much afternoon sun on this location. The ones that blew up in the drought only receive morning sun and r still alive an doing fantastic.

Sites where northern red oaks r growing work great for American chestnuts.

Here is an AC that tripled in height from last year even in the drought.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LEG- do you grow AC strictly? Is it due to your ACS affiliation- don't want other species to cross-pollinate?

I'm not big on the hype for branded products. You won't find the advertised plot stuff at my place- just a good way to spend more money. Is there a good reason to not plant dunstans? I don't see where I can go wrong with $6 per lb though...

1 - 20 of 461 Posts