Growing chestnuts

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by gurgalunas, Nov 6, 2013.

1. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I saw the MDC Seedling thread and it got me thinking... I've got a lot of those trees already on my property, and have planted a lot of seedlings from MDC, but I've always wanted to grow chestnuts. I've read a lot of good things about them, but am not really wanting to drop a huge pile of cash to order trees. Anyone here grow them? Tried a search but that function isn't working on my phone for this site...

I did come across a 51 page thread on the QDMA forum with a lot of info on growing them from seed. Seed cost is pretty reasonable, and I have the room to do it. I think I might order some and give it a whirl.

2. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

I have chestnuts growing on my place. Give them morning sun and afternoon shade, well drained site that sits north or east facing if they r American or American crossed.

Nothing grows like a chestnut!!

3. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Plant away and please share your experiences. I'm interested in growing some as well but so far haven't tried it.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

Deer love them more than acorns. Wish I had some growing on our place.

5. nontypical

nontypical Member

Dec 18, 2004
    New Franklin
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Chestnuts are easy to grow from seed. Buy your seed now, store in the crisper in the 'fridge with a lightly damp paper towel through the winter. I start mine in Rootmaker grow pots when the weather warms and place the around the garden so the sprinkler pattern includes them when I water the garden (keep it simple).
    Here's a good source for seed if you are ready to order now as they do run out of the select seed each year: http://store.route9cooperative.com/.

I see the image didn't come through......I REALLY dislike the new format. It is not user friendly. I could not find a preview post option nor is loading pictures anywhere as easy as it was before the 'update' occurred. Color me not happy :mad:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. letemgrow

I fall plant with great success and never have to water/pamper them in the summers in rootmakers. Rootmakers are great...till you go on vacation in summer for 3-5 days and the heat/no water smokes your seedlings :D

If anyone plants seeds, make sure to protect them or squirrels/rodents will find every single one of them. I use tree tubes and put them 1" in the ground and keep the ground around them sprayed so weeds are not inviting to rodents.

If the planting looks like this, you will have great success from seeds and save the time/hassle of growing in pots if you so choose.

[​IMG]

7. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I found Dunstan nuts for $6 per lb for XL nuts. Shipping is $12 for up to 10 lbs. I'll try 2 lbs, so if anyone in KC area wants to try some, speak up.

LEG- I assume that is you in that QDMA thread? I'm only 3 pages into it, 48 more pages to go... Where do you get your tubes? The few places I checked we're going to gouge on the shipping.

8. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

9. letemgrow

I order them thru Forestry Suppliers, the protex tubes. Do not use their tab system to secure the tubes, its a joke IMO.

Secure them like this...

Drill your own vent holes and holes for the zip ties to secure to the fiberglass rods. I like these tubes as they seem to last forever. Some are 8 years old now and still doing great.

[​IMG]

10. letemgrow

I like the 3' model to start with and run it up as the tree grows out the top. It keeps varmits from wanting to climb on them I think. Even when they do, they cannot ride them down with this system.

They tried here and failed.

[​IMG]

11. letemgrow

Another tube a lot of guys like is the miracle tube

Mike Hamilton out of IA sells those (Phone: (319) 804-0211 cell (319) 573-0615)

12. FatDan

FatDan Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Kansas City North
    I'm in I'll take the other 8 lbs I know that's way more than I need but with my lack of green thumb I plan for a lot of failure. I live right around the corner from Rogers so let me know what I need to do to hook up with you. Dunstan's are supposed to be the good ones that Kroll is always talking about right.

13. FatDan

FatDan Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Kansas City North
    I just read the post again so if there is a 10lb minimum I will take the other 8 if there's no minimum I will take 4lbs. I'll try to send you a u2u.

14. letemgrow

Chestnuts r browsed hard as any tree. Make sure to prptectt
    them like an apple tree from rubbing and browsing.

15. letemgrow

U will not see any added benefit from dunstans over say regular Chinese in an orchard type planting. Dr. Krull touts those as real tree nurseries sells them. They r a "variety" that people can really profit from...wildlife willl not profit from them anymore than any other chestnut type.

It's like buying seed at the ag store or buck on a bag seeds....

Buying seeds is a huge money saver, way more than buying Dunstans seedlings. Most all seedlings r Chinese in growth like and apple tree over the American form...

16. letemgrow

One year growth can be phenomenal on a chestnut. 3' from seed the first year is normal.

[​IMG]

Next year, doubled basically. These r pure Amercian Chestnuts.

[​IMG]

17. letemgrow

American Chestnut, first year growth from seed coming out of a 3' tube...in mid summer with more growth to put on!!

[​IMG]

18. letemgrow

Another AC, summer of year 2 from seed coming out a 5' tube already and gettin close to 6'

[​IMG]

19. letemgrow

Also not that those trees pictured r smoked and dead now...summer heat killed them as they got too much afternoon sun on this location. The ones that blew up in the drought only receive morning sun and r still alive an doing fantastic.

Sites where northern red oaks r growing work great for American chestnuts.

Here is an AC that tripled in height from last year even in the drought.

[​IMG]

20. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    LEG- do you grow AC strictly? Is it due to your ACS affiliation- don't want other species to cross-pollinate?

I'm not big on the hype for branded products. You won't find the advertised plot stuff at my place- just a good way to spend more money. Is there a good reason to not plant dunstans? I don't see where I can go wrong with $6 per lb though...