Ground is dry!!

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by TOBRYAN, Feb 27, 2006.

1. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Our ground is so dry, there is nothing to freeze on the upper few inches!
    I decided to turn over some crp ground for a small plot and it turned just fine.
    Went to southern ks over the weekend and its even worse down there.

We are going to be hurting, I just heard its been one of the driest Feb in history.

2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Yip it is dry everywhere. There were several grass fires here this weekend! Need moisture for sure. Might get some the end of the week!

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I did some work in my little wanna be food plot yesterday and it is extremely wet !

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Hope we arent in for another dry-as-he!! year like last year..

5. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Oh Rat I think we are!

6. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    Yes dry everywhere West of the Mississippi. Fear not though. I did not order trees form MDC this year so there will not be a draught this summer. :mad2::

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Its powder dry at our place. We were burning off crop ground again this weekend, and once the burn went thru, the open ground was like a dust bowl. We need alot of rain to get the ground moisture up to normal. I need to brush hog our warm season grasses,,but I hate to set in the dust cloud it will make.

:cheers::cheers:

8. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Its dry on top in west central MO, but moist down about four inches. Actually hit water at 18 inches in the bottoms planting trees with an auger.

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wishful thinking, but I think we are gonna have a wet spring. :pop:

10. xxx

xxx Guest

I think so too rat......... guess we will find out real soon........:cheers::cheers:

11. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If thats the case,,,I better get my sunflower spot disced real soon or I might not get them in on time again this year.

:cheers::cheers:

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Looks like a fair chance all weekend......I remember a few years back at the Classic, we had one heckuva blizzard...dumped like upwards of 9 inches or so that day!!!

13. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    had a backhoe digging up some stumps today to get the combine in better,we were down to about four feet getting them out, down to the crawdaddy clay and we never hit any moisture to speak of.een at four feet the dirt would fall out of the bucket without any sticking to speak of.we need it bad all ready.

14. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Don't know about how good of a chance of rain there is this weekend. Seems the chance on Wed has went to 0% and the weekend has went from a 70% to 30% chance in the matter of a few hours. The idiots, I mean weather men, always seem to be predicting rain 5-7 days out but as those days approach the chance keeps getting pushed back so the day is was supposed to rain never really gets here. My guess is that March will be warm/hot for this time of year and bone dry. Later on in spring (April and May) it will be cold and damp with a few flooding (+/- 5 inch or more rains) mixed in. Then the rain will shut off for about 3-4 months and it will be hot and dry as h*ll. That pattern seems to be the norm of late.......no winter to speak of, spring getting started in Feb., return of winter in April and May when it is supposed to be warming up, and then full blown summer until about November.