Grilling Season?!

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Chairman, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    This weather has really got my inner-clock all messed up...

With all this warm weather, I've already started thinking about grilling season.

So ~ here's the question:

I've been thinking of switching to a gas grill, and I think this is the year. Don't try to talk me out of it. I know there's gonna be some strong opinions on this, but I'm just tired of dealing with charcoal... :roll2:

Pro's & Con's, anyone?!

What to look for, before buying?

Do you have a favorite brand/model?

Is there a brand/model I should definitely avoid?

Are all hook-up's the same?

Do I need a 2nd burner?

Anything else I'm forgetting?
  2. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Most certainly. Avoid all of the models that run on gas. :D

I know. :bangin: on me.

3. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Hey I love our gas grill. I like being able to slow it down. Move the meat toward one end and turn the burners down. And one off. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheapy and it won't last. If you grill much???
  4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

That's a great benefit, IMHO! :cheers:

I don't grill as much as I'd like, because of having to deal with charcoal...
  6. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    Been thinking about a new myself-I wouldnt buy one that will rust out in a short while like last one.
    Probably look for stainless or heavy cast grill area. possibly stainless burners and stainless racks-I wouldnt pay extra for the side burner as only used mine a couple times in several years.
    The advice is worth what you paid!
  7. hardhuntr

hardhuntr New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Oak Grove
    I wasn't aware there was a grilling season? :confused:

Typically, my back deck gets the snow shoveled off it before the driveway.

Can't help ya, Chairman. I'm a Kingsford man all the way.
  8. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Sorry, I cant help ya either on this one cause I'll never go to gas either. We love our large smoker. We start the fire with charcoal and then use small pieces of oak and hickory after that so it costs very little to cook with. Plus, we usually double up on it and BBQ over the fire and have something smoking at the same time in the smoker part for the next night's meal. When the BBQ'ing is done, we close it up and let the remaining fire finish smoking the second meal out.

With our new location and business ideas, we now have the big daddy BBQ/smoker. Check this baby out: (someone will probably need to resize it for me)
  9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Which prompts my next question:

Anybody use their gas grill year-round?
  10. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    Sweet setup bowpredator!:cheers:
  11. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Thanks! I drool every time I look at it! I cant wait to see how much meat I can slap on that big boy!
  12. Neil

Neil New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Lee's Summit
    I grill year round on my gas grill. I like the taste of meat off of charcoal, but it is too much work for most night's meals. I really liked my Kenmore (Sears) until I had to buy a new burner. They used a non-standard burner that I could only order from Sears (could not even get it in their stores). It cost $37, the standard type would only run $12-15. We grill alot and my grill stays out in the weather, so I end up replacing the burner about every 18 months. That being said I won't buy another Kenmore.
  13. If you must get a gas grill I'd recommend a Holland. We have been using the Heritage model for years now.

We still have a good 'Ol Charcoal model though.:D
  14. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I use mine year round-----95% of the time its cooking a hamburger or a Braut-----When I have a few hours I fire up the smoker and use it---but for quick grilling----I love the gas grill.

You will find that you simply dont need nor use the external burner---so dont pay for it. I would get nothing less then a 2 burner--its very easy to simply not light one side. Also invest in one of the cheap 10.00 covers-----they are worth their weight in gold as far as keeping the grill in decent shape.

The last new one I bought was right at 125.00-----still going strong in year 3 for it......:cheers:
  15. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I went through two gas grills before I wised up and bought a real grill. I have a Big Green Egg and once you try one you will never go back to a gas grill. I can get it ready to cook in ten minutes and I can cook slow or fast. I can slow smoke a turkey, ribs, tenderloin or cook a nice thick steak in about five minutes. The way you can control temperature in that think is crazy. You can hold it at 200 or crank it up to 700. It also does a spectacular job of not drying out deer meat. They have a lifetime warranty and are definitely worth the extra $. I consider it some of the best money I have ever spent. I also wish I was getting a comission off of all of the grills I have sold after people ate meat off of mine!
  16. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    First - Bowpredator - that is one h3ll of a setup! I'm jealous.

I think that charcoal and gas have their place. I have a smoker (just a cheap barrel smoker) that I use whenever I can (meaning I have a whole day to devote to cooking!) and a Weber charcoal grill that I use on weekends as I love the flavor and cooking with charcoal. With that said, I also have a gas grill, for lots of reasons. Simply, it heats up quick and is great for doing larger cuts where the temperature is easily controlled, and is good on weeknights.

As for Chairmans questions, there are pros and cons. You trade some flavor and some fun when you go to gas, but you also get speed and convenience. I have a Vermont Castings grill, which I love - I would stay away from cheapo models (<$150). Weber makes a good gas grill, but are overpriced IMO. I would stay away from Sunbeams and Charbroils - both of these were cheap and rusted out quick. Flavor can be improved with a smoker box, and you can use wood in a foil pouch too.

Get a stainless steel burner, and get either cast iron or porcelain grates.

A side burner is handy if you are boiling shrimp or crawfish, or frying fish. Otherwise, it is extra cash, and something I would not use often enough to make it worthwhile. If you fry a lot of fish or anything else though, it sure beats cleaning up the stove.

I believe all hookups are the same these days.

Happy grilling!!!!
  17. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Yes ~ I must...

I never said I was giving the charcoal grill the heave-ho ~ I just hate messing with it every time i grill.

Like I've said before ~ I like options... :D

BTW ~ Thanks for the link :wave:
  18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Now we're rolling!

Thanks for the tips, y'all... :wave:
  19. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    Dont you mean- Now where cookin with gas?