Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife agrees I plan to hunt allllll day today. Hung a stand in a new spot yesterday and planned to be in it at o'dark thirty this morning.
2:30 am I am wide awake from thunder and pouring rain.:mad2: Winds in the 40-50 range. Wife told me to be quiet and go back to bed.... the nerve of her sometimes.:soapbox:
6am, STILL thundering like crazy and POURING some more.
I will be the first to say I will hunt in &W#^$ weather, but not thunderstorms. Like yesterday, windy as sin but I saw 9 deer mid-day and early afternoon.
If I thought the mud was bad yesterday from the snow melt..... we got at least 1" of rain this morning & its kind of sleeting & freezing crud now.
Least I have the new blind set up in a good spot for later today and can stay dry in there if Momma Nature is still raining on my "parade"....

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
It's just moving in here on us right now. Really hoping the rain has turned to snow by 2 pm, cause we set a stand yesterday that should produce well. I'm not bowhunting in the rain, no matter what.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,137 Posts
It rained hard enough in the nite that the ground should be packed some and the mud shouldn't be as bad as it was yesterday. I'm just hoping the downpours will stop,,,I don't like the idear of shootin a deer in a down pour they can't be tracked in. I have gear that keeps me dry,,but have not found a thing that will keep tracks and blood from washing away:whinging:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
69,522 Posts
Originally posted by Wings Fan 19 Like yesterday, windy as sin but I saw 9 deer mid-day and early afternoon.....
Funny how wildlife can foresee a weather change coming in and prepare for it and our college educated weather people on TV are only right 50% of the time.

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have MUCH preferred the 4" of snow over the 1" of rain......
And the thunderstorms this time of year are odd. Last week we had a "thunder freezing rain storm".:thinking:
After growing up in New England, that's just plain old strange.
PW, I hope you get the snow..... then you can invite me up and you'll never hear me whine about a long walk. I'd gladly walk it in AND out.:peepwall::stirpot:

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rain is gone, temps hovering at freezing but the leaves aren't crunchy... I'm gone.
G'luck to anyone else heading out today.:cheers:

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
I wonder how long this will last? If it's going to be done by this evening, I bet the deer will out out in full force right after it quits. Several times I've sat in our big box blind in the bottom and watched the field while it was storming. As soon as it stopped, the deer were running around like rats. It's about as close to a "sure thing" on seeing deer as I can imagine.

Now I just gotta pray it moves through fast enough before dark.

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
I need to change the fuel filter on my Silverado, but can't find an empty garage to use. I'm not laying in the freaking mud just to change that thing. :mad2:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,795 Posts
Just hitting us now.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
I think I'm back to green light. Rain has quit & the snow is on it's way. Looks like a really good combination to me. Blev & I hung a stand on the good side of the creek last night & the deer are yarded up on that side of the creek.

My ground is where the star is in the center of this map.

[file]45125[/file]

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
Good luck Pinwheel. Conditions should have the deer up and moving around like crazy in between the junk. Go get big daddy.

I was hoping that it might pass by before dark, but it's moving at a NNE path so it will rain the rest of the evening until dark.

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,682 Posts
No dead deer on my place tonight, but seen plenty. Lost count, but there were at least 9 came out into the beans to feed. 2 pretty good bucks. First would get a pass, but the second will be tempting if he screws up. I been hunting the fringes working my way in, to learn where they're entering the field. Worked well last year & I think I'm getting him narrowed down this year.

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sleet came and went around 3ish here in the KC area. Snow started about 5'ish. In between it was a freakin free for all. I saw at least 30+ deer as Seth said, running around like rats. None in range, but non stop action for an hour. More deer at one point in time than I could count or keep track of.
Still snowing now, so I'm all pumped to get out in the early am. :cheers:

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,137 Posts
I was sure wrong about the rain packing the ground some. I guess the frost in the ground kept all the moisture on top.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Henry, it rained so hard here it all ran off.
All said, was a great day to hunt even though I have nothing to show for it other than muddy boots n pants.
The am is promising.;)

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
Man you guys are so lucky that got to hunt. I should have went out because it would have been just about perfect for the last hour of daylight. The radar looked like it wouldn't let up until dark, but it just "vanished". Go figure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts