Great Day

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by HomertheHunter, Nov 11, 2010.

1. HomertheHunter

HomertheHunter Active Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Kearney, MO
    I think I had about as much fun in the stand as I could have without shooting a deer. Saw 22 total today and 3 gobblers. Set up on the top of a ridge and set out the decoy. Early on had two spikes chasing a doe, and then they stopped and slammed heads fighting for a bit.

Not sure the exact time but I know it was pretty close to noon heard running from the North and see a doe with a nice 8pt in tow, and a smaller buck behind him. She comes up the hill and straight across towards me. I have the bow up thinking wow she is gonna lead him 15 yds in front of me. She gets about 30yds out and sees the decoy and stops refusing to move forward. Well the big fella thinks she is ready and tries to mount her but she kicks him off. She starts to work back down the hill with him in tow while I am throwing the kitchen sink at this buck. He was staring down the decoy but wouldn't leave his girl. The smaller buck got to close one time and he charged him sending him running.

Saw the smaller buck later chasing another doe.
    Right before dark had a button buck behind the stand that wouldn't leave, was talking to him and making different sounds and he just kept coming closer to the stand.

Had a great day sat from 630 to 530. Oh yeah took the decoy down after my missed opportunity.
    Sorry for being long winded.

2. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    good post and thanks for sharing it.......... :eek:::claphands::cheers:

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Hey that ain't long winded. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us:claphands:

4. riverrat09

riverrat09 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Norborne, Mo
    makes you wonder what woulda happened if the decoy wasn't there.

5. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Sounds like a great day for sure.:eek::

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Sounds like a great day in the stand. Glad ya got to experience it & share it with us.:eek::

7. lma

lma Active Member

Yeppers....a great day and story as well. Thanx for sharing it! :eek::

8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Sounds like a great hunt, given the weather change you timed it just right. :wave: