Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

101 - 120 of 191 Posts

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
now I am starting to question whether you have ever seen a coin, and if so, whether you flipped it over.
If you flipped one 40 times in a row and got heads every time, wouldnt you question the coin?

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I might do that. but I would for sure go buy a lottery ticket.
But 40 times that all day hunting has been tries with no negative impacts is still an unknown....???

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
But 40 times that all day hunting has been tries with no negative impacts is still an unknown....???
No DNR has been stupid enough to liberalize turkey regulations/seasons (more than doubling the hunting season length) during such an awful period of horrendous production, as well as a host of other known and unknown issues currently causing the loss of more than 1/3 of the population! No DNR is dense enough to do something so blatantly ignorant!

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
Habitat is the only one we can control.
Habitat is the most important, but It is not the only thing man can control.
I agree that for the big picture, predator control at this time, using leg hold traps during typical Missouri furbearer seasons, will not have much impact on Missouri’s overall turkey population.
However, if a few things were done differently, trapping success could be enough to help increase local turkey populations and potentially statewide populations. You have to think outside the current box from a regulatory standpoint and season timing and length, especially on the trapping side.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I agree that for the big picture, predator control at this time, using leg hold traps during typical Missouri furbearer seasons, will not have much impact on Missouri’s overall turkey population.
However, if a few things were done differently, trapping success could be enough to help increase local turkey populations and potentially statewide populations. You have to think outside the current box from a regulatory standpoint and season timing and length, especially on the trapping side.
I have always wondered about this so I asked a turkey biologist about this, and he said if you apply trapping pressure within the current regulation guidelines and are catching less and less each year, that it is plausible that you may be reducing populations of those critters locally. That makes sense to me.

Anyway, if it doesnt take time away from habitat management and you still have time to do it, its fun and enjoyable, there is no downside.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
No DNR has been stupid enough to liberalize turkey regulations/seasons (more than doubling the hunting season length) during such an awful period of horrendous production, as well as a host of other known and unknown issues currently causing the loss of more than 1/3 of the population! No DNR is dense enough to do something so blatantly ignorant!
MDC is.

PA did.

No dnr has even remotely suggested changing hours due to population declines.

Youre claims on this are like a person refusing a steak dinner because they bruised their knee. One thing has NOTHING to do with the other.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
MDC isnt going to change trapping rules.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I have always wondered about this so I asked a turkey biologist about this, and he said if you apply trapping pressure within the current regulation guidelines and are catching less and less each year, that it is plausible that you may be reducing populations of those critters locally. That makes sense to me.

Anyway, if it doesnt take time away from habitat management and you still have time to do it, its fun and enjoyable, there is no downside.
If its light outside when you are setting and running traps its taking time away from habitat.

Yes, Im sure he said you may reduce the population. I notice he didnt say that you would have more turkeys.....

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Doing the same thing the same way and expecting different results. Genius.
Trappers arent even utilizing the trapping season that are available now. They dont need more time. The trapping orgs are against it. The public is against it. There is no benefit.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Hawk quoute, sub a couple words!!!

(Trappers) TURKEY HUNTERS arent even utilizing the (trapping) TURKEYseason that are available now. They dont need more time. The (trapping) TURKEY orgs are against it. The public is against it. There is no benefit.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
If its light outside when you are setting and running traps its taking time away from habitat.

Yes, Im sure he said you may reduce the population. I notice he didnt say that you would have more turkeys.....
People dont work on habitat sun up to sun down every day. Thats assinine.
Setting a cubby takes less than a minute. I assume you have never done it?

Reactions: 20'

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
People dont work on habitat sun up to sun down every day. Thats assinine.
Setting a cubby takes less than a minute. I assume you have never done it?
Evidently they need to.
Screenshot_20210314-103539.jpg
Screenshot_20210311-165812.jpg

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Curious, do you know how many times you have posted that? I'm serious when I say I bet you have posted that over 500 times.

What exactly has that yielded for you anyway? I mean, if you want to talk about wasting time so much.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Curious, do you know how many times you have posted that? I'm serious when I say I bet you have posted that over 500 times.

What exactly has that yielded for you anyway? I mean, if you want to talk about wasting time so much.
It exposes todds lies.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
It exposes todds lies.
Posting it 500+ times, spending day and night and weekends doing it when it wont move the needle a bit, yet someone who spends a few minutes setting a couple traps is wasting valuable time that they could spend on habitat.

Got it.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Posting it 500+ times, spending day and night and weekends doing it when it wont move the needle a bit, yet someone who spends a few minutes setting a couple traps is wasting valuable time that they could spend on habitat.

Got it.
If I lived in close proximity to my farms, and could be there to work instead of doing my actual job Id use that time on habitat work. I dont.

Stop being pissy because your buddy is exposed as a liar.

101 - 120 of 191 Posts