Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody mess with sorghum as a food plot?

I had a grower ask me this the other day and I told him that
I didnt know but I had a place I could find out! :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
we've planted it the last 2 years. The first year the deer tore it up right after the first hard frost. last year they barely touched it but iI believe it was because of the good acorn crop last year because they hardly touch the clover plots either.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No sir.. I dont.

Could check around tho.. ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I planted WGF sorghum last Friday also. Took the afternoon off to do it since rain was on the way. The seed came from Miller Seed in Clinton (only $25 for 50 #)and must be the same asTHIS STUFF. The seed itself is smaller than what I have used before as "Milo" which I know is great for deer foodplots.

Some of plots I planted were for the deer but most was in the swamp for the ducks (sorry, I have other vices besides deer :D) If I don't get the water for the ducks there will be a deerstand there!. I also threw out some open-pollenated corn seed ($38 per 50 pounds)

Yes, the blackbirds will be hard on it, but they won't get it all.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,465 Posts
I planted 3 different 1/4 acre plots last year. The deer ignored it till around January after the buck forage oats & WW were under snow. They used it for a bedding area too. It's not a good kill plot, but works very well to help provide badly needed food in the late winter. The side benefits, There seemed to be quite a few quail near all 3 plots last winter. Seen some pheasant & turkey tracks as well.

This year, I've planted forage sorghum & sunflowers. About 4 acres worth + a lot more, but that's for another post.

Bedding area.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Milo, love it, but so do Blackbirds and deer when its in the milk stage. I have a friend that had about 15 acres completely stripped by blackbirds last year they tried
everything to keep them out and if they shot at them they would just move over abit and keep eating. I had the deer strip mine a few years ago before it could make a head.
Its great stuff if you can get it to maturity and the birds
dont find it. So far for me anyway rr soybeans have worked the best.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Ive planted a small plot of forage sorghum and have done it in the past. It grows about 6 foot tall and is great cover and after the stalks break over, Ive watched deer nibble on the heads. Its mainly a cover and bird (turkey, quail, pheasant) thing though, great for late winter.
good luck and go for it!

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Works pretty good some years and not so good other. It is pretty expensive but get ahold of your local game warden & they should have a few bags to give away for food plots. Just got mine planted 2 weeks ago and its coming up good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.