GPS

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear (General)' started by kc704, Nov 11, 2010.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I bought a GPS from someone on here a few years back and never got the hang of it.

My question is this:

Is it possible to find your property corner markers and then be able to make a straight line between them using the GPS so you can put in more markers along the line? I've got one side of my farm that is really hard to tell the property lines. I've got all the corners marked, but they are pretty far apart. And tying a string to one and walking to the other isn't going to work.

Not sure what model mine is, but I will know Monday because I left it at fire station and that is my next day on duty.

If I can do it that way and someone knows how to use it I can pay for your services in cold beverages. And a nice walk in the country.

2. 160983

160983 Guest

I think it would tell you distance from point A to point B. Not how far left or right you are from a straight line. You might be able to cheat it though. If you can store the gps coords at your markers - I would think you could program them into google earth. You might be able then to use google earth to mark more navigational points on your property lines. Once you do that you should then be able to input those coordinates into your gps unit.

I have never tried something like that to try and stay on a propertly line and I dont know if google would work down to that level.:shrug:

3. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    You can usually draw a map or region on the mapping. Seems like it would be hard thing to do with the GPS. I have an Magellan Explorist that I bought new. It came with mapping software that allows you to download the points you mark in the field to the program and see them on the map.

Then you can draw a outline of your property. May need to try and find the right software.

4. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I don't know what brand it is or how many options but I know some can plot way points and you should be able to mark within the coordinates extra markers

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I had the same question Chris 15 years ago when I wanted to know where my boundaries were on my 40 acres. It was shaped like yours. Back then I asked a few people I considered semi literate and the same questions and they told me that if I knew the corner numbers I could program those in and it would take me to that location and it would be within 15 to 20 feet accurate. 15 to 20 feet don't cut it in my book when I want to know where my property ends and my neighbors begins. Unless they have improved over the last 15 years and I'm sure they have I'd hire a surveyor and get it right and in the books at the county courthouse.

6. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    MM he has his corner markers, I think he just wants to mark spots in between... I might make another suggestion get some of the cheapest 20 or 30 lb fishing line you can find and string it between the corner markers once you have that you can simply spray paint on trees along the line....:02:

7. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    The easiest way using a gps would be to plot the corner coordinates on a mapping program like C.A.R.E.S then draw the boundary in. I think from there you can determine some intermediate coordinates then go to the farm and find those coordinates with your gps but like mailman said you wouldn't be perfect because those things don't navigate perfectly to the foot.

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1893088&tid=131834&author=Big John]MM he has his corner markers, I think he just wants to mark spots in between... I might make another suggestion get some of the cheapest 20 or 30 lb fishing line you can find and string it between the corner markers once you have that you can simply spray paint on trees along the line....:02:[/rquote]

He has a minimum of 1320 feet to measure....that's a lot of fishing line. Plus the whole length north and south is timbered. No way to get a straight line through those trees and brush plus up and down creek banks and you can't use a regular compass for a north south line. They are magnetic and the surveyors don't use magnetic north per say but allow for the curvature of the earth. At least that is what was told to me.

But I bet that there is a way to do it within a couple or three feet using the GPS and one of the current programs.