Got to find a new stand, need help

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by bigminnow, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Well just got a call from the landowner that I deer hunt on and he tells me his brother and brothers son are hunting with us in his propertie this year. The bad part is that they have decided to put up hangers were I already had blinds out since 10/10, one of witch is on a food plot that I have worked on for the last 3 years. The other was a new spot for me this year, but had lots of promise for deer travel (you know that spot that every deer magizine says is a cruising spot for buck in the morning and even have some trail pics of atleast three diffrent 8 pointers that use this saddle). He has lots of acreage but mostly field. So my options are in a bottom (very thick with a small 1/2 acre not so thick area were I will have to walk right past my plot and down the ridge that I had my blind on. Or in the field were there is no guarantee were they will park or drvie thier trucks and four wheelers, or even what time they may be driving around.

SO WOULD YOU HUNT THE BOTTOM OR THE FIELD?
    Also take the fact that they removed my blinds and put them in the barn so all of my set-up will be opening morning. Any help would be great let me know what you might do.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :peepwall: Sounds to me like you've been moved out!

I'll remove my own blinds......thank you.......

Parker

3. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    [rquote=1884329&tid=131267&author=Parker]:peepwall: Sounds to me like you've been moved out!

I'll remove my own blinds......thank you.......

Parker[/rquote]

tempted to remove thiers with a chain saw.

4. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    doesn't sound like they treated you very fair on this!!:eek:

5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    well personally I'd still hunt opening morning, just go slow and observe and you might find you another hot spot and when I did, I wouldn't tell a soul about it

6. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    [rquote=1885001&tid=131267&author=fishshooter]well personally I'd still hunt opening morning, just go slow and observe and you might find you another hot spot and when I did, I wouldn't tell a soul about it [/rquote]

x2! or if there is anyway you can hunt your spot...but say 100 yards in the direction the deer are coming from! so the deer pass by you first:2thumbsup::banana-man-yeah:

7. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    [rquote=1885003&tid=131267&author=montgohunter][rquote=1885001&tid=131267&author=fishshooter]well personally I'd still hunt opening morning, just go slow and observe and you might find you another hot spot and when I did, I wouldn't tell a soul about it [/rquote]

x2! or if there is anyway you can hunt your spot...but say 100 yards in the direction the deer are coming from! so the deer pass by you first:2thumbsup::banana-man-yeah:[/rquote]

100 yards do you think that would be far enough away, I have shooting lanes cleared out to about 200.

8. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    [rquote=1885001&tid=131267&author=fishshooter]well personally I'd still hunt opening morning, just go slow and observe and you might find you another hot spot and when I did, I wouldn't tell a soul about it [/rquote]

I still plan on hunting opening day all day I always do, should I try to clear a spot for the blind or just sit on the ground. I have a climber but not sure if any good tress to hang on, most of them have ben loged off over the years.

9. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    [rquote=1885000&tid=131267&author=dpd925]doesn't sound like they treated you very fair on this!!:eek:[/rquote]

Not fair at all. does are all I have been hunting for the last 4 or 5 years, I wanted to let the bucks grow a little, plus I think does taste better. The food plot was for them to eat good so I could eat good. This was the first year I was going to "buck" hunt, my wife says I went to Bass Pro and came back thinking I was Bill Jordan. I konw were the bucks travel I have been watching them over the past few years, thats why I put I blind in the saddle of the holler, they hang back while the does come out and feed and don't even think about coming out intill well after dark. I have stayed out nights with the video camera in the food plot and watch the field fill up with deer just after sunset. I just hate thinking about going deep into the brush and pushing deer over to the next countie.
    I would have had no problem letting them hunt the plots in my blind or even thier stands ( of course I believe thier stand includes a couple of 2x4 plywood and an old bus seat, should smell good). I just really wanted to hunt in my new spot this year, after all I am the only one that worked the plots and made shooting lanes and clearings. I spent all year tending this, I hopes to put a little meat in the freezer and maybe put a trophy on the wall.
    I would ask for my lease payment back but do to the lack of money over the last couple of years he has allowed me to pay him in labor, new fences, tending cattle, haying, cutting fire wood, you name it I have been at his call.

10. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    [rquote=1885011&tid=131267&author=bigminnow][rquote=1885000&tid=131267&author=dpd925]doesn't sound like they treated you very fair on this!!:eek:[/rquote]

Not fair at all. does are all I have been hunting for the last 4 or 5 years, I wanted to let the bucks grow a little, plus I think does taste better. The food plot was for them to eat good so I could eat good. This was the first year I was going to "buck" hunt, my wife says I went to Bass Pro and came back thinking I was Bill Jordan. I konw were the bucks travel I have been watching them over the past few years, thats why I put I blind in the saddle of the holler, they hang back while the does come out and feed and don't even think about coming out intill well after dark. I have stayed out nights with the video camera in the food plot and watch the field fill up with deer just after sunset. I just hate thinking about going deep into the brush and pushing deer over to the next countie.
    I would have had no problem letting them hunt the plots in my blind or even thier stands ( of course I believe thier stand includes a couple of 2x4 plywood and an old bus seat, should smell good). I just really wanted to hunt in my new spot this year, after all I am the only one that worked the plots and made shooting lanes and clearings. I spent all year tending this, I hopes to put a little meat in the freezer and maybe put a trophy on the wall.
    I would ask for my lease payment back but do to the lack of money over the last couple of years he has allowed me to pay him in labor, new fences, tending cattle, haying, cutting fire wood, you name it I have been at his call. [/rquote]

well I know I would be explaining my feelings to him if I were you!!!

11. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Bzzzzzz....splash....twitch, plop, twitch, plop...plop....plop....BAM!!!

Fish on!!!!

12. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    [rquote=1885017&tid=131267&author=archer66]Bzzzzzz....splash....twitch, plop, twitch, plop...plop....plop....BAM!!!

Fish on!!!![/rquote]

:confused::shrug:

13. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

[rquote=1885011&tid=131267&author=bigminnow][rquote=1885000&tid=131267&author=dpd925]doesn't sound like they treated you very fair on this!!:eek:[/rquote]

I would ask for my lease payment back but do to the lack of money over the last couple of years he has allowed me to pay him in labor, new fences, tending cattle, haying, cutting fire wood, you name it I have been at his call. [/rquote]

It sounds like to me you should just stick it out....they may be gone by opening weekend and the bucks will be cruising in between does, then you can hunt your original spots all day every day. :cheers:

It does stink the the landowner picked family over ya...given all you have done for him, but that is just part of it I guess when you don't own it.

14. bigminnow

bigminnow New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    well I had the perfect setup opening afternoon, too bad I was looking the wrong way. Had a 12 come in down wind at about 30 yards from my blind. And I rushed my shot, I cuaght a glimps of movment out of the corner of my eye, turned and seen him walk broad side, didn't want to unzip another window on my blind was afaid he would hear me so I stood up and leaned out the side window, got the gun up and pulled the trigger, not even looking at the crosshairs,( I know I'm an idiot). Needless to say he got away, just turned on a dime and hoped a tree top and was gone. Sunday I went out to the same spot and noticed that the trail he was on would have keep him broad sided for another 40 yards to the scaps and rubs he had. I beat if I wouldn't have blew it he would have put on a hell of a show for me. The only thing I could think of when I seen him is not to let the other guys get a shot on him. I never seen a legal buck the rest of season, I did take a doe and button. So I go out on Turkey day to get more meat and hunt the large field were we always see deer. I was just about to pack up when I seen a doe come out of the woods about 300yrds up wind, got the gun on the sticks and put her in the cross hairs, but noticed she keep looking back in the brush. After watching her for 45 min going in and out of the woods I decied to put her down. Get the scope back up and kick the safty off then I notice what she is acting up about, the 12 is just at woods edge, scraping a sapling, I put the safty back on and head to the truck. I think I will just let him pass on his DNA. I even took the long way around to not desterb them. I hope in a few years he has lots of sons that look just like him.