Got my pond stocked yesterday

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by pinwheel, May 22, 2009.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I've been on the fence between letting the MDC stock my new pond & paying for it out of pocket. I choose to foot the bill myself instead. Sounds like we'll be able to fish at least 1, maybe 2 years sooner this route.

We put in 5# fathead minows
    5# golden shiners
    375 blugill
    125 redear sunfish
    100 6-8" channel cat.

We'll wait till next spring to put in the bass. Let the forage get well established first.

[file]58095[/file]

[file]58093[/file]

[file]58091[/file]

[file]58089[/file]

2. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    I thought I told you to stock it with those big ol hybrid crappie?

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1271501&tid=89032&author=cummins5.9]I thought I told you to stock it with those big ol hybrid crappie?[/rquote]

It's documented on how much I listen to you, haven't you been paying attention.

4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I still have yet to put any bass in my pond..... Where you getting yours pw? I bought my last fish from Randolf County fish farm, but I am not sure they are still around......

The sunfish and channel cats have had plenty of time to grow in my pond (5 years), I need to get some bass in there.......

5. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
  6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    note to self take a couple of thirty pound flatties up to pw's new pond,so he can get a suprize:D

7. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    nevermind missed where you said you were gonna wait....my bad :roll2:

8. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    [rquote=1271503&tid=89032&author=pinwheel][rquote=1271501&tid=89032&author=cummins5.9]I thought I told you to stock it with those big ol hybrid crappie?[/rquote]

It's documented on how much I listen to you, haven't you been paying attention.[/rquote]

I pay attention to you about as much as I pay attention to Fishy.

You really should listen to me, Randal. Your life would be much easier.

9. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    on a side note you might think about stocking tilapia every spring has a summer diet, they reproduce like crazy as long as the water is warm, thats why all the lakes in mexico produce huge bass, because there are natural populations of tilapia

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1271505&tid=89032&author=callaojoe]I still have yet to put any bass in my pond..... Where you getting yours pw? I bought my last fish from Randolf County fish farm, but I am not sure they are still around......

The sunfish and channel cats have had plenty of time to grow in my pond (5 years), I need to get some bass in there.......[/rquote]

Harrison fisheries. They're about 20 minutes from my farm.

11. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1271511&tid=89032&author=racks-n-beards]NO CRAPPIE!!??!?!?!
    [/rquote]

All the advice I was given from people in the know said I don't want crappie in a small pond. They'll easily over populate if we don't fish it a lot. I don't fish very much.

12. racks-n-beards

racks-n-beards Chiefs FANatic

:cheers: fair enough!!

If'n you don't mind. Whats the cost of the fishies?

13. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    [rquote=1271515&tid=89032&author=pinwheel][rquote=1271505&tid=89032&author=callaojoe]I still have yet to put any bass in my pond..... Where you getting yours pw? I bought my last fish from Randolf County fish farm, but I am not sure they are still around......

The sunfish and channel cats have had plenty of time to grow in my pond (5 years), I need to get some bass in there.......[/rquote]

Harrison fisheries. They're about 20 minutes from my farm.[/rquote]

Thanks, I'll look em up....:wave:

14. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    What made you go with buying them rather then having the MDC stock them? Just curious cause maybe one of these years we are going to build a pond.

15. FisherBoy

FisherBoy New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central Missouri
    My understanding when checking on MDC pond stocking was that if MDC stocks your pond, you have to abide by MDC regs for catching the fish (size limites...possesion limits...etc). If you stock it yourself, you have free reign. Contrary to some rumors, you still can limit who fishes your pond though. I was checking on this when my folks built their pond, but decided to stock it ourselves as well.

16. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    How big are them bluegill, I might need Rond up bait :roll2:

17. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: Can't wait to see the results in a couple years. :cheers:

Parker

18. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    BEWARE OF THE GREAT BLUE HERON....

I had them lined up around the edge of my pond for weeks after I stocked it. I'm just guessing but I'd say they took out 25% of what I put in if not more........and you can't shoot them..they are a protected bird.

[file]58098[/file]

19. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I think you did well on what species you chose as well as leaving the bass out for a year. Seems like a real good plan. I've heard those redear are goodens.

How come Jenny wasn't doing the lifting? I figured you'd be behind the camera. :peepwall: