8,318 Posts
Great lookin buck and mount!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by fireman_3311
Nice buck starbux!!!!! Remind us of the story???
Opening day of gun season in Illinois.
Started off in my best spot. Another hunter didn't know that I was hunting there (I've hunted there since I was 14 and I'm 35). Anywho, he drug a small buck out under my stand and told my he and his boy would be leaving shortly. I asked where his boy was and he said 150 yds. on the other side of me. They get closer to me every year since I usually do ok. That convinced my to go to Plan B.
I got to my second spot at about 1pm after going to town for food and coffee. I walked to the spot I wanted and realized I forgot to bring a saw. It was so hot that I was already sweating anyhow so I decided to try to break limbs off as I climbed with my Goliath. The only tree that I could climb was a willow about 1 ft in diameter at the base. Luckily there was another right beside it that I could use to keep the stand from 'spinning' on the tree. BTW, I had to get up in a tree because of how thick it is in there. Well, after breaking limbs and making a racket, I was in place at about 1pm. I took a short nap in the sun and woke up about 1:30. At 3pm, I heard a squirrel barking about 150 yds away behind me in the thicket. I sat on the climbing rail of the Summit until about 3:30 and about decided that squirrel was nuts and nearly turned around to sit in the seat. Well, finally, he stepped out in a fast walk angling toward an opening about 80 yds away. One look thru the binos and I got the TC Encore ready in the opening. I turned the scope down and waited for him to walk thru. When he did, all I saw was a wall of smoke. I heard him running off and thought I heard him pile up. I reloaded and got down to go to the exact spot where he was before I lost it in the changing light. I saw a spray of blood and lungs on the trees behind it so I went back and packed up the stand and my stuff. About 15 minutes later, I followed an obvious trail to where I heard him crash. I got the truck and loaded him....all the while thinking of a story about what location I harvested him at!!! Gotta keep the trespassers guessin' 'round here.

...then I drank a lot of Anheuser's finest.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Nice lookin' buck SB.
I like the angles in the mount.
Have or gonna put his brother on the other side of the tail facing him?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by onearmblkpwdr
Nice lookin' buck SB.
I like the angles in the mount.
Have or gonna put his brother on the other side of the tail facing him?
The other side of the fan is the end of the wall. I had to take down a 145ish 9 pt. to put this one up. I have to get the basement done so I can hang all of 'em up. Assuming I don't get it done, I'll still try to cull one of those two this year (or both). Never hurts to aim high! They're both around 165" gross. Unfortunately, I have to wait 4 months to start.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.