Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biggest bird I've ever killed was this sat morning. The birds were not working at all so we has to put a stalk on. We found this tom in the middle of a field with three hens. There was a small ditch that went to about 50 yds of where the birds were. I started belly crawling through the ditch towards the birds trying not to be picked off by the hens. I got about 1/2 way to them when there was about a 5 yrd opening in the grass that i did not see i was going to have to try and crawl thru with out being detected. I layed there wathing the hens trying to decide when to make my move. I heard a truck coming down the gravel road at a slow pace and the closer it got the more weery the hens got. Then all at once the hens took off running so I got up on my knees so I could find out wich direction the tom was going and to my surprise he was running right for me. I stopped him in his tracks at 25yds. The biggest bird I have ever killed 1 3/8 spur on one side 1 1/4 on the other one beard at 10 1/2" the other beard at 8" and he weighed in at 24lbs. I was wet from the chest down but it was well worth it. I'm sure luck will not run my way next time a truck coming down the road spooks the birds but sure am glad to have it on my side this time.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Brake, way ta go!! WooHoo!:banana: Congratulations!!

Jack:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
70,359 Posts
You were at the right place at the right time. It has happened to me almost exactly as you described. Ya gotta be lucky once in a while. Congrats:eek:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Great job Brake...
I ain't the luck yet, but I sure enjoy reading about others.

·
5,632 Posts
Great job, Brake!

·
19,584 Posts
Now that's a heckuva a hunt! :banana:

I wish I could'a seen the look on the Tom's face, when he realized how royally he just screwed up, when he zigged, when he should'a zagged... :eek:

Come to poppa... :D

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Sounds awesome!
PICS PICS PICS!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by Chairman
when he zigged, when he should'a zagged... :eek:

Come to poppa... :D
I love it :banana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.