Got an early birthday present!

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting' started by dhaverstick, Sep 29, 2017.

1. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    Yesterday, I received the black powder rifles that my good friend, John Pruitt, made for me and my dad. I have been anticipating their arrival like a kid waiting for Christmas. John has made me several guns before and Dad has talked about John making him one for a long time now. Finally, I got tired of listening to him talk and just had John make him one. Father can consider it an early Christmas present or something. To compensate Mr. Pruitt for his trouble, I've sent him a few dozen cookies as a down payment. Now I have to sew him up a fancy possibles bag. Not a bad trade to my way of thinking!

My rifle is a 54 caliber flintlock with a large Siler lock and a 42" swamped Colerain barrel. Dad's is a Hawken style rifle with a 30" barrel custom made by Flintlock Construction Incorporated in Morehead, KY. His gun's other unique feature is the mule-ear lock on it. The coolest thing of all about both firearms is that the stock wood came from a walnut tree off our farm that has been in our family since the 1850's.

I know the sights aren't period correct but I'm not concerned about such things. We had these guns made to kill vittles and we wanted adjustable sights. Dad's has an adjustable buckhorn rear sight and a bead front sight. Mine has an adjustable peep rear sight and a target globe front sight. I've got a handful of apertures I can put in the target globe for different sight pictures.

I am heading to the farm right after work this afternoon. My plan is to kill a slickhead with my longbow early tomorrow morning and then spend the rest of the day making smoke with Dad. Sunday morning, I'm going to kill a turkey with Sweet Rachael, my 20 gauge flintlock turkey gun. For some reason, my plans and reality rarely match but a feller can dream can't he?

Darren

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DonJuan, STTH, Muleskinner and 2 others like this.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They look great Darren. You guys have a blast this weekend. :cool!:

3. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Happy birthday Darren! Sweet rifles and I bet you have a ton of fun this weekend!!

4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Great look'n rifles, best of luck with them! :tup:

5. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Beautiful rifles. Still trying to figure out my .54 cal flinter, but getting there

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Let me know how you like that Colrain barrel. I have one and I said bad things about it for the first 200 rounds. After those 200 rounds and a steel wool treatment it settled down and started shooting. As good as their reputation is I don't believe I'd get another.

7. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    Vic, I have two Colerain rifle barrels and two Colerain smoothbores and I can't complain about any of them. Of course, no more than I shoot and no better than I shoot, I couldn't tell if it's the barrel's fault or mine. As long as I can kill something to eat then I am happy.

Darren

8. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Good Darren, I'm glad you like them. I can't say I dislike mine, now. When new it simply wouldn't group where I thought it should an especially at only 50 yards. From all the good I heard about them I never suspected the barrel. I tried different thickness patches, different size balls, various powder charges, various powders and none was any better than another. Then I thought maybe the crown was nicked but a close inspection disproved that. While examining the crown under magnification I noticed the lands and grooves were a bit rougher than I thought they should be. From just being able to look in the barrel a short distance, no bore scope, I was pretty sure I could see some rough edges on the lands. Nothing serious, just enough to cut a patch pretty bad, which I had also seen in my patches but thought/hoped would "shoot out". That was when the barrel got the steel wool treatment. It's shot pretty good since then and seems to be getting better every outing. Sure was frustrating for a while.